Connect to Internet with Live CD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tonyapp
Level 1
Level 1

Connect to Internet with Live CD

Post by tonyapp »

I think I have probably inadvertently tweaked something in my router, a Speedtouch 546. Windows XP still finds the internet fine but I have to add specific nameservers in resolv.conf before either Mint 10 or Debian 6 can get on line. This led me to wonder how most Live CDs manage to configure their set ups so that they get on line automatically although this doesn't happen now, suggesting a router misconfig. I'm particularly interested in the mechanism since the mod to resolv.conf does not persist between boots. Can anyone help please?
Tony
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Connect to Internet with Live CD

Post by grimdestripador »

normally name servers are passed to the dhcp client when it connects.

If you make a live USB, you can use persistance file.

I'd suggest that you have a typo on your router and need to add the given IP to both the primary and secondary DNS search locations. AKA primary DNS and Secondary DNS (Domain Name Server).

Even the router itself supposed to obtain this information from the ISP's dhcp obtained ip, and pass it on to the dhcp clients.

Return to “Installation & Boot”