Linux Mint 11 Installation DVD won't boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kooldino

Linux Mint 11 Installation DVD won't boot

Post by kooldino »

What a waste of my night. I tried all night to install Mint 11 to my main PC. It's a 3GHZ Core 2 Duo on a plane jane Intel DP35DP mobo. 4 gigs of RAM, recent (but low end) nvidia card, etc.

I could not for the life of me get it to boot off of the DVD OR a USB drive.

The checksum of the ISO I downloaded was good. I downloaded the 32 bit Mint 11 gnome DVD. I tried burning several DVDs which booted fine in 3 other machines but would not boot on the one I wanted it to. The bootable DVD won't even attempt to boot on the machine in question. Yes, my BIOS is set up properly.

I tried both pendrive and unetbootin to create bootable 1GB USB drives with the Mint 11 image on it. It will attempt to boot but give me a vague "boot error" message no matter what machine I attempt it on. Mind you, I've successfully used unetbootin before.

I even went as far as updating the BIOS and trying multiple DVD ROM drives in the machine.

Fun fact: ubuntu 11.04 live CD boots on the machine without a hitch.

TL;DR - I can sucessfully make a bootable DVD that will boot on any machine except for the one I want to boot it on. The ubuntu 11.04 live CD boots on the same machine wihtout a hitch. Also, when I attempt to make a bootable USB stick, it fails on every machine I try it on.

Help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Linux Mint 11 Installation DVD won't boot

Post by richyrich »

If a CD works and a DVD doesn't . . I suggest that you download and try the Mint 11 CD version instead, . . it's easy to upgrade to the dvd. http://linuxmint.com/rel_katya.php#info
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

You say you have an nVidia card in that machine? Firstly, it would be useful to know exactly what the error message on boot is - if it is too much to type down then use a digital camera to take a photo of the screen and post that for us to see.

Secondly, if you get as far as the GRUB boot-loader menu then can you please press either <TAB> or <E> (whichever is correct) to edit the command-line. Change the words 'quiet' and 'splash' to 'noquiet' and 'nosplash' and add the word 'nomodeset' before the final '--', then press <ENTER> to boot the system. This may well give more information as to where it is hanging or, with a bit of luck, actually get you into the Live desktop.
kooldino

Post by kooldino »

richyrich wrote:If a CD works and a DVD doesn't . . I suggest that you download and try the Mint 11 CD version instead, . . it's easy to upgrade to the dvd. http://linuxmint.com/rel_katya.php#info
I'll give that a shot when I get a chance.
kooldino

Post by kooldino »

SimonTS wrote:You say you have an nVidia card in that machine?
Yes
Firstly, it would be useful to know exactly what the error message on boot is - if it is too much to type down then use a digital camera to take a photo of the screen and post that for us to see.
Well, with the DVD, there is no error message...it just loads my normal GRUB menu as if the disc isn't there. Yes, my DVD ROM drive is the first device in the boot order.

When I attempt to boot from the USB stick, it literally only says "boot error".
Secondly, if you get as far as the GRUB boot-loader menu then can you please press either <TAB> or <E> (whichever is correct) to edit the command-line. Change the words 'quiet' and 'splash' to 'noquiet' and 'nosplash' and add the word 'nomodeset' before the final '--', then press <ENTER> to boot the system. This may well give more information as to where it is hanging or, with a bit of luck, actually get you into the Live desktop.
I'm not even getting that far. I won't even begin to load the Mint 11 boot DVD. It will load countless other boot discs I've tried.

Return to “Installation & Boot”