Can't find Autorun program

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
orrymr

Can't find Autorun program

Post by orrymr »

Hi all

I've just downloaded Mint 10, KDE (I checked the md5sum - it's all good). I'm not quite ready to install Linux yet (I still need to set up a partition; I'm looking to dual boot), but I wanted to check whether or not the install DVD I created works. It doesn't. I burned the image onto a DVD. After I burned it, I saw that there was a text file labeled MD5SUMS, or something to that effect, which contains the md5sums of various files on the dvd. I checked them all; they're good.

However, when I try to run what's on the dvd, I'm told by the OS that it can't find the Autorun program. I have no idea what that's all about. Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SimonTS

Re: Can't find Autorun program

Post by SimonTS »

If you have checked the MD5 and burned the CD is an ISO image then you should reboot the PC with the CD in the drive and tell your PC (by a BIOS setting normally) to use the CD as the primary boot device.
colyn

Post by colyn »

There is no autorun on the Linux boot CD.

You boot the computer with the CD in the tray and set the CD drive as first boot in the BIOS. It then reads a livecd file that will boot up the CD into the live mode..
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

@SimonTS, @colyn:

I have never used it myself but isn't the install cd / dvd set up to autorun when you install Mint "within Windows" ( mint4win or Wubi ) ?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

I have never used it either, but as the OP stated that he was looking to dual-boot I proceeded with my advice based on that. My understanding was that Mint4Win wasn't included in the Mint 10 KDE edition and that copying Mint4Win from the 'Main' version didn't work either. I seem to remember that people who wanted the KDE desktop within a Mint4Win setup had to install the 'Main' edition of Julia and then add the KDE desktop onto that.

EDIT:-

Just checked - http://linuxmint.com/rel_julia_kde.php
"Due to incompatibilities with large ISO files, mint4win isn't present in this edition."

I guess that's the answer then :mrgreen:

Return to “Installation & Boot”