PXE install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

PXE install

Postby AlienQueen on Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:34 am

Hello all,

For my first post here, I would like to know how to install Mint via PXE. I have a PXE system up and running with which I can boot lots of distros but unfortunately not my new toy.

Indeed, what I would like is to launch the live CD with PXE in order to be able to install the distro on a machine without having to burn a CD. I've played around with it of course, but no way.

Cheers,

AlienQueen
AlienQueen
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: PXE install

Postby Husse on Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:29 pm

Welcome to Mint AlienQueen
My experience of PXE is limited...
But tell us more about what goes wrong
And have you had any success with Gutsy
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby blosch on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:36 pm

Hi,

I'm also trying to do a network install of Linux Mint using PXE (my laptop doesn't have a CD drive), but without success. Works fine with other distros (eg: ubuntu, gentoo).

Here's what I did in my attempt to get it working:
Mount LinuxMint-4.0.iso
Copy all files to my tftpboot directory
Add LinxuMint my pxelinux.cfg/default file

It loads the initrd and kernel, but after a few seconds I get kicked to a busybox prompt.. I could not find the preseed/ubuntu.seed, so I can't passe it in the APPEND statement. Also, I highly suspect that the system doesn't know how to get isolinux/filesystem.squash once PXE is done..

Hope that made a little bit of sense.
blosch

Postby Krzysiek on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:01 am

Coping all files to tftpboot won't help. Loader(pxe) downloads (via tftp) only kernel and inirtd.
Ways to solve this problem:
+add needed files to inird(but you need huge amount of ram because inird is copied directly to ram) and modify init
+mount files via nfs
+install mint on other machine (np. VirtualPC), copy to your laptop and install grub on your disk (you can install ubuntu then delete it and then copy mint (easiest way to get grub for you;))
Krzysiek

Return to Installation & Boot