Installation wont go past "Preparing to install linux mint"

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KamaKayz

Installation wont go past "Preparing to install linux mint"

Post by KamaKayz »

Hello,
I've been trying to install Linux Mint 11 64 bit (The dvd version) for the past several days, I have also tried 32bit. I have tried to install it using 2 Usb's and a Dvd-r. All three manage to boot up completely, but when i start the installation after the second page the cursor just continues to loads and nothing happens, I've been waiting for hours, and the only thing i can do is hit quit but I can still use applications. I also checked the MD5 and it is correct.

Here is my lspci:

Code: Select all

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (int gfx)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2)
00:07.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 3)
00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [IDE mode]
00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:12.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3a)
00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller
00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS780 Azalia controller
02:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 03)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
04:05.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4321 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)
Please Help, Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SimonTS

Re: Installation wont go past "Preparing to install linux mi

Post by SimonTS »

Just in case you are still awake, you're not being ignored. I had exactly the same problem when I tried to install Mint 11. I eventually got it working - can't remember exactly how right now - but decided to drop back to Mint 10 due to too many issues with 11. I am now running LMDE!! Anyway, when you start the installer running click on the little arrow towards the bottom of the installer screen, which will expand a text box telling you what is going on with the installer. It will hang at a certain point. I can't remember exactly where mine froze, but I'm going to go away now and hunt for the information to see if it helps you out.

EDIT:-

OK, tracked down my original thread - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73050

If your installer is hanging at the same point mine was (displaying "Step_before = stepMigrationAssistant" in that little text box) then you can ignore the suggestion by SpawnHappyJake - that only applies if it fails at the end of the installation. Various things to try;-
1) Make sure that you let the installer format the partitions itself, even if you have freshly created them in gParted
2) Try the 32-bit instead - although I have read that you tried that already
3) Install either Mint 10 (there is very little difference between the two) or look at trying one of the other versions, such as LMDE
KamaKayz

Post by KamaKayz »

Thanks for the help, i tried to instal lxde and the same thing happened, i also tried to look for the arrow at the bottom of the installation window but i cant find one, so i may just go to linux mint 10
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Personally, I think that is a good decision - it is more stable and there is nothing in Mint 11 that I need over Mint 10.

Good luck with it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”