Installation Problems

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shenfier

Installation Problems

Post by shenfier »

Sorry for the lacklustre title. Anyways, I had Windows 7 but somehow it got borked, so I decided I wanted to try Linux and chose Mint. I got a live CD and am currently running from it. I tried to install off the live CD but there was an error (It said it could be something with the disc or the harddrive) but it got far enough that I no longer have Windows so the only way I can use my computer is off the live CD, which isn't really a problem but obviously I can't use the CD drive for anything else then. Can anyone help me out? I'm never good at getting these things set up :cry:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Installation Problems

Post by tdockery97 »

From the live CD can you access your Windows files to see if they are still there? Have you tried using your Windows recovery disk? If Windows looks like it is truly gone, and you didn't make a Windows recovery disk, then have you tried installing Mint again, telling it to use the entire HDD for the installation?
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
shenfier

Post by shenfier »

Well I got it installed, I'm not sure what was wrong before... Now I can't get online though. It says "Wireless disabled by haedware switch"
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

RFKILL!!

Search on the forum for your make of wireless card and the word 'rfkill'. Failing that, open a terminal window, type the following command and post the output here;-

Code: Select all

lspci

Return to “Installation & Boot”