Mint6-11 wont boot..

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chucklebutte

Mint6-11 wont boot..

Post by chucklebutte »

I recently got a new mobo/cpu I installed it, I try to load Mint 11 and it hangs when loading casper initrd.gz, so I try Mint 10, hangs in same spot, tried Mint 9 same thing.... I tried all the ways to 6 (lowest I have) and nothing... However Windows installed fine, which is annoying....

I tried nosplash noquiet nomodeset on boot and still nothing... How can I install if the live cd wont load a desktop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint6-11 wont boot..

Post by TBABill »

Is it possible that motherboard has an EFI BIOS instead of a traditional BIOS? If so, there is lots of info online regarding Linux, and specifically Ubuntu, compatibility and usage with workarounds. if that's not the problem then I wouldn't know what else to stab at since you tried so many versions of Mint without success. Why a Windows CD or DVD would work and not Linux, I have no idea.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

What is the make and model of your motherboard? Let's try what google has to say about in search together with "Linux not booting". Usually you are not the only one having issues if it is hardware related and a solution might already be available.

I don't know if this is the same, but I have a motherboard with UEFI bios. That boots fine.
chucklebutte

Post by chucklebutte »

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/int ... p?S_ID=475 is the board, it has a Phenom II x2 3.2 and 4GB DDR3, not using shitty onboard video (unless I should but I assumed it was the issue damn ATI drivers)

I was able to start it with compatibility option and get to bash and it gives me an error X cant start because there is no screens...

Return to “Installation & Boot”