How can I re-enable Plymouth on boot?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jeeves

How can I re-enable Plymouth on boot?

Post by jeeves »

I have Plymouth installed and it's working fine during shutdowns. However on boot ups, once the Grub2 splash is done displaying I get that infamous black splash screen. I did read in the release notes how the black screen was done on purpose, but does anyone know how I can get plymouth to work for the boot ups too.

I'm running Linux Mint 11 LXDE RC2
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: How can I re-enable Plymouth on boot?

Post by tdockery97 »

Just go to Synaptic Package Manager and install plymouth-theme-mint.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
inhiway

Re: How can I re-enable Plymouth on boot?

Post by inhiway »

Having or not having a splash screen at bootup hasn't been important to me. I didn't even mind the black screen, but having read through several threads RE this subject, I decided to do some experimenting. I opened Synaptic to verify that I did have Plymouth installed. Opening Startup Manager, I verified that Splash Screen was indeed checked. I changed the display resolution to 1280 X 1024, the highest available and the color depth to 24 bit from 8 bit. Upon reboot, I do now have the Mint splash screen (I guess it's Plymouth) and at shutdown, too, which I did not have before either. I still have about 5 or 10 seconds of black screen before the splash, but it's there never the less.

I'm not all that Linux savvy, so your mileage may vary.

Graphics: NVidia GT430, 1 GB
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
Memory: 6 GB DDR3
Display: Acer 22" (1680 X 1050)

Return to “Installation & Boot”