Add Mint KDE alongside Mint Gnome and Win XP - SOLVED

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
edzell
Level 4
Level 4

Add Mint KDE alongside Mint Gnome and Win XP - SOLVED

Post by edzell »

I'm thinking of installing Mint KDE but don't want to lose my current setup; Mint Gnome 10 dual-booting with WinXP, sharing an NTFS data partition. I want to retain the present Mint & Windows OS's and finish up with a triple-boot system using that same NTFS partition for all data. I'm nervous about maybe screwing things up when defining partitions for the new install; any info, advice, hints or tips would be welcome. I'm strictly a GUI kind of user so simpler would be better :) - but I WILL have my home & data backed up externally before I start.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Add Mint KDE alongside Mint Gnome and Win XP

Post by remoulder »

I assume you're installing mint10 KDE? There shouldn't be any problems, you can utilise the same swap partition as from the gnome install. It's not a great idea to use the same home as gnome/kde edition settings will conflict to some extent. When the installer gets to the final confirmation screen, there is a button to change the bootloader, you should install grub to the kde root partition not the hard drive MBR as this will leave the existing grub intact and controlled by the gnome install.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
edzell
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Add Mint KDE alongside Mint Gnome and Win XP

Post by edzell »

Thanks remoulder.

After trying the Mint 10 KDE on live CD I've decided to stick with Gnome after all. Main reason I wanted KDE was to run Digikam but I've installed that under Gnome. It looks like a real winner. Also thought I'd try KmyMoney but I find it clumsy compared with the very old Quickbooks I still use by booting into Windows. Wish I didn't have to do that but I've found no Linux money program that I like as much.

Return to “Installation & Boot”