Mint 11 Torrents and mint4win

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tony49

Mint 11 Torrents and mint4win

Post by Tony49 »

Hi I'm not sure if this is the right place to post or not, if it isn't then mods please feel free to move this to a more suitable place.

Thanks for making Linux Mint I'm a Win user who's been meaning to play around with Linux for years and never really had the time to properly play around with it and slightly scared by Terminal.

I downloaded both the mint 11 lxde 32 bti RC2 and Linux Mint 11 "Katya" - CD no codecs (32-bit) via torrents. Both of these torrents don't include Mint4Win unlike the direct downloads from the mirrors.

I'm not sure whether you know about this, whether it's deliberate or an omission but it is annoying.

Thanks
:D Tony49
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 11 Torrents and mint4win

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here from Installation & Boot
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Tony,

That is really weird. If you read the release notes for Mint 11 'Katya' (http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_katya.php), you find the following;-
Windows installer

Mint4win, the Windows installer, cannot handle large ISO images and is only provided in the "CD No codecs" version of Linux Mint.
I'm not questioning you, but have you checked the MD5 checksum on the Mint 11 version you downloaded to make sure it is the correct version?
Tony49

Post by Tony49 »

I haven't checked the MD5 hash file, however the "official" torrent file from http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=83 doesn't include it (includes MD5 but not Mint4Win).
I did a recheck on the torrent and it came up 100%.
There were two files called mint4win both were 1KB ( 1 was an .ico file and the other was just shown under Windows as a "file" not an .exe and what programme would you like to open it with?.
On the mirror site the Mint4win.exe file was as large as life and very easily accesible.

Both sets of .isos were mounted using Daemon Tools Lite (latest) on Win 7 x64 Ultimate (fully patched).

Trrent client was Utorrent 1.8.3 (its not the latest but it is the last Utor to work nicely with the XBTT tracker).

Return to “Installation & Boot”