[SOLVED] Stuck at "Ready." on First Boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cr1t1cal

[SOLVED] Stuck at "Ready." on First Boot

Post by cr1t1cal »

Hey all,
First time installation of a linux OS, and I am having a bit of trouble.

Backstory (In case it helps): I have an HP Pavilion that has been running Windows 7 for a good while now and I've decided that I want to take my second hard drive I have on the laptop and use it for a Linux boot instead. I have a live CD of Fedora and Mint and I first loaded up Fedora. It loaded perfectly and I thought it looked decent so I started an install. I got part way through and realized that I couldn't figure out which drive was my "second" drive based on the listing it gave me, so after a long time of trying to figure that out, I decided to just back up everything on my Windows boot to an external and wing it, hoping that the one I thought was my secondary drive was ACTUALLY my secondary drive. (Worst case I reinstall windows). I also formatted the drive to its default settings. (Can log my Windows boot and grab these settings if needed)

I tried to load up the install disk again and it hung at "Detecting Hardware". I thought that was odd, tried it a few times with the same results, and moved on to the live CD again. Now that one was giving me some EDID error. So, I tried reburning the live CD, with the same results. At this point, both my Fedora live CD x2 and Fedora install iso were fubar.

Current:
Finally, I decided to try out Mint, as it is a slick looking OS and I thought it might help if I used another distro, and used a live CD my roommate had recently used and I am currently getting stuck shortly after boot. The disk boots, I get to the Mint boot screen, tell it to boot as normal and the following appears:

Loading /casper/vmlinuz...........................................................
Loading /casper/initrd.lz.............................................................................................................................................................................................
Ready.

Aaaand it sits there. If I wait long enough (20 seconds?), I can hear (what is most likely) the Mint startup sound, but my screen is stuck at this "Ready." stage.

I saw something about nomce or something around the forums/Google, but I am new to linux distros and have no idea where to put that to try it.

Any assistance you can give would be awesome.

Also, I can post my specs if they're needed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Stuck at "Ready." on First Boot

Post by xenopeek »

Ah, backstory is very nice--next time also post your laptop model number :wink: I'm guessing you have a Nvidia or AMD/ATI graphics chip in this laptop?

Try the following:
1. Boot from LiveCD/DVD
2. When it does the countdown of 10 seconds to boot automatically, press a key
3. Highlighted is the default choice with which it will boot, press TAB to modify it
4. Replace "quiet splash" on this line with "nomodeset"
5. Continue with boot

Any new errors, or do you now get into the desktop? If still no luck, try replacing "quiet splash" with "acpi=off nomodeset".
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Sometimes just pressing F8 gets rid of the 'Ready.' screen - the bootscreen will turn black and Mint will load.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
cr1t1cal

Post by cr1t1cal »

Thanks, I'll give those a shot.

And yeah it's an HP Pavilion dv9700. I'm pretty sure it's Nvidia, but I haven't looked in quite some time.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Make sure it's not hybrid graphics. In that case, please disable one of the 2 graphics cards in the BIOS and try again - it may work better.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
cr1t1cal

Post by cr1t1cal »

Vincent's suggestion worked perfectly! Thanks!

May also look into that Albert. I noticed it failed to load something related to graphics on boot up, but everything seems fine for now graphics-wise.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

cr1t1cal wrote:Vincent's suggestion worked perfectly! Thanks!

May also look into that Albert. I noticed it failed to load something related to graphics on boot up, but everything seems fine for now graphics-wise.
Ah, this will only work until you reboot I think. If next reboot has same issue, perhaps go to Additional Drivers in the Control Center to install drivers for the Nvidia.

Alternatively, you can make this kernel parameter permanent. Go to Terminal and run:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
Change the line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
Into:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
Save & close the file. Commit the changes:

sudo update-grub2
cr1t1cal

Post by cr1t1cal »

Thanks again :) Marking this topic as solved.

Return to “Installation & Boot”