Problem Booting linux mint from hard disk

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zealkaiser

Problem Booting linux mint from hard disk

Post by zealkaiser »

I have copied the linux mint live cd files to my hardisk(sda1)
I have tried booting them using grub and syslinux.
In both cases it boots and even starts loading.
But before completing the boot process it shows this message

Code: Select all

Using CD-ROM mount point /cdrom/
Identifying.. [0028fb756a4b0910d1796e8c923bad78-2]
Scanning disc for index files..
And then freezes for about few minutes.
After some minutes it shows this message

Code: Select all

Found 1 package indexes, 0 source indexes, 0 translation indexes and 0 signatures
Please provide a name for this Disc, such as 'Debian 5.0.3 Disk 1' :
And then hangs forever
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Problem Booting linux mint from hard disk

Post by xenopeek »

Sorry, but to be clear, did you copy the ISO image onto the harddisk, or did you install Linux Mint from CD, DVD or USB stick to your harddisk?

In case of the first, I'd suggest you burn the ISO image to CD or DVD (depending on which image you downloaded) and boot from there to install it. Alternatively, get unetbootin (available for Windows and OS X also) at http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and use that to but the ISO image on a USB stick. You can then boot from that USB stick and install from there.
zealkaiser

Re: Problem Booting linux mint from hard disk

Post by zealkaiser »

I have extract the ISO image to my hard disk.
I use Linux a lot so I don't want to install Linux Mint on USB. But Since My family members also use the same machine and uses windows only I can't not Install Fully Linux Mint. I want a frugal install of Linux Mint. Since I have the DVD version It lacks the mint4win feature. I am looking a way out. I have tried a lot tricks but all of them falls at the error posted above. If I could know what does that mean I can easily solve it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”