grub2, 'set default' is ignored

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ilna

grub2, 'set default' is ignored

Post by ilna »

I have set [1] GRUB_DEFAULT=2 in /etc/default/grub (it is 2.6.38), updated grub and verified grub.cfg contains 'set default="2"' string. At booting grub menu has needed entry highlighted, but loads first (with number 0, 2.6.39 kernel) menu entry. If select the entry in menu manually (in fact just push arrow down and arrow up keys in grub menu), needed kernel is loading.

Is it known problem? Or - where is my fault?

Xfce edition is in use.

[1] to workaround this problem: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=78849
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmintnewb

Re: grub2, 'set default' is ignored

Post by lmintnewb »

Would look in synaptic or software manager if it's avail with Mint's Debian based releases for a gui tool to help config grub2. Run a search for grub in them and see what comes up. With Mint 10, no doubt the other main releases there are gui tools to set up which OS to boot by default and how much time to wait before grub does in the control center for them.

May be a similar tool offered by default in Mint xfce. If you haven't looked around the control menus for something like that you may want to. Otherwise I don't doubt there are graphical tools you can install to accomplish it. Am a grub legacy person. Didn't spend much time trying to learn to use grub2, as I've found and think legacy is easier to work with.

Do know that grub2 discourages people from editing grub2's files manually though. Here's one option I've seen people mentioning or saying good things about, grub customizer.

http://www.google.com/search?q=grub%20c ... channel=np
ilna

Post by ilna »

lmintnewb wrote:Would look in synaptic or software manager if it's avail with Mint's Debian based releases for a gui tool to help config grub2. Run a search for grub in them and see what comes up. With Mint 10, no doubt the other main releases there are gui tools to set up which OS to boot by default and how much time to wait before grub does in the control center for them.

May be a similar tool offered by default in Mint xfce. If you haven't looked around the control menus for something like that you may want to. Otherwise I don't doubt there are graphical tools you can install to accomplish it. Am a grub legacy person. Didn't spend much time trying to learn to use grub2, as I've found and think legacy is easier to work with.

Do know that grub2 discourages people from editing grub2's files manually though. Here's one option I've seen people mentioning or saying good things about, grub customizer.

http://www.google.com/search?q=grub%20c ... channel=np
Please, explain me that relation between GUI and grub.cfg. And do you know about update-grub? And, if you are still interested in, I configure this workstation via ssh :D
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Instead of GRUB_DEFAULT=2 try GRUB_DEFAULT="saved" and add an entry:

Code: Select all

GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT="true"
Then sudo update-grub and reboot. Select your prefered OS and it should remember it for each subsequent reboot (until you select a different one, in which case it will remember that instead).
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Oops - ignore double post
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
ilna

Post by ilna »

Roken wrote:Instead of GRUB_DEFAULT=2 try GRUB_DEFAULT="saved" and add an entry:

Code: Select all

GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT="true"
Then sudo update-grub and reboot. Select your prefered OS and it should remember it for each subsequent reboot (until you select a different one, in which case it will remember that instead).
Thanks! I have also found this workaround (but haven't tried it yet as far as the workstation is offline just now and I haven't ssh access - it's my mother's computer). At any case it would be handy to understand why "main" way doesn't work.

Return to “Installation & Boot”