[SOLVED]eee pc 701 and LM 11

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davidMint
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]eee pc 701 and LM 11

Post by davidMint »

I have installed the last version of LM 11 (Lxde version) on my old eee pc 701.
it works well but i am disappointed by the time of the boot (more than 2 minutes and a half !).
Is there a way (a previous topic for example...) to boost this boot ?
Do you think the bootchart answer could help you to help me ?
Do you think an older version of LM could be better ? (but I need a recent firefox...)

Regards,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: eee pc 701 and LM 11

Post by xenopeek »

2.5 minutes sounds very long, so let's do some analysis.

1. Bootchart
Please install bootchart:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install bootchart pybootchartgui
Then reboot and in /var/log/bootchart you should find a png image of your boot. Upload that here.

2. Harddisk
Go to Menu -> Control Center -> Disk Utility, click your harddisk on the left side, then press the Benchmark button and 'Start Read-Only Benchmark". Report the minimum, maximum and average read rate.

3. System information
Please share output of:

Code: Select all

inxi -F
davidMint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davidMint »

Here is the bootchart image

And here are the test of the hard drive ((read mode) :minimum 6.7 mo/s ; max, 16 Mo/s ; mean value, 12.2 Mo/s (do not forget that I am working on a usb key...)

I do not understand your last request

I hope it helps
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi, my last request was for you to run that command on the terminal and share the output of it.

I don't understand how you have installed Linux Mint, can you be more clear about it? In your first post you wrote:
I have installed the last version of LM 11 (Lxde version) on my old eee pc 701.
But in your second post you said you didn't have it installed, but were running it from a USB stick:
And here are the test of the hard drive ((read mode) :minimum 6.7 mo/s ; max, 16 Mo/s ; mean value, 12.2 Mo/s (do not forget that I am working on a usb key...)
Which is it? Are you running it from USB stick, or do you have it installed to your harddisk?

If running from USB stick--that is causing your boot to be slower. USB sticks are much much slower than harddisks, hence the disk throughput is not aligning with the disk utilization in the second graph. To increase boot speed your first steps should be to install it to a harddisk.

If booting from harddisk--your CPU seems to be the limiting factor, as seen in the first graph. A single core 900 MHz processor is really not going to do the punching you need to have a swift boot.

Share the inxi -F output for us to get a better picture of it. From the bootchart there doesn't appear to be one process that is causing the long boot time, all processes that get loaded during boot time are taking long.
davidMint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davidMint »

Sorry for the misinformation at the begining : yes I am running LM on a usb stik.
I agree that the speed is limited by the usb connection.
But the hard drive ist just 4 Go and LM11 use 3.8 Go (with the usb I can save data on the ssd hard drive). That's why I try to run on a usb stick (we can no more find for a cheap price a small ssd hard drive for eee pc).
I have tried to install on a sd card but this does not work. Do you think it could be better (if I manage to install it ?)
Actually I am searching a linux distrib where I can easily use "modern" web navigator. If there is an older LM (which need less space), I am ready to use it..

Here is the result of inxi -f :
System: Host david Kernel 2.6.38-8-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 11 LXDE
CPU: Single core Intel Celeron M (-UP-) cache 512 KB flags (nx sse sse2) bmips 1260.07 clocked at 630.035 MHz
Graphics: Card Intel Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller X.org 1.10.1 Res: 79x23 Gfx Data: N/A for root
Audio: Card Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.23
Network: Card-1 Atheros AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter driver ath5k BusID: 01:00.0
Card-2 Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet driver atl2 v: 2.2.3 BusID: 03:00.0
Disks: HDD Total Size: 8.0GB (31.7% used) 1: /dev/sda SILICONMOTION_SM 4.0GB 0C
2: /dev/sdb SD/MMC 4.0GB 0C
Partition: ID:/ size: 3.3G used: 2.4G (78%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 0.53GB used: 0.06GB (11%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info: Processes 120 Uptime 12 min Memory 219.7/487.8MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23
barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barrieluv »

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 on my 701 which is still fairly slow to boot, but at least it fits on the 4Gb drive.
EeePC 701 Ubuntu 10.04 || HP Pavilion DV6 Linux Mint 17 Mate Edition
davidMint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davidMint »

barrieluv wrote:I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 on my 701 which is still fairly slow to boot, but at least it fits on the 4Gb drive.
May I ask you your boot time ?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

When using the advanced partitioning of the installer, you can delete the existing partition(s), create an ext4 partition mounted as / on the SSD and then just install Mint on 4GB.
But first you have to backup the files from the SSD somewhere (perhaps another USB stick) as deleting the partition wipes everything on the harddisk, including Windows (in case it's still installed). If you want to keep Windows installed, you can't do this.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barrieluv »

davidMint wrote:
barrieluv wrote:I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 on my 701 which is still fairly slow to boot, but at least it fits on the 4Gb drive.
From hitting the power button to the Gnome desktop, including log-in, 55 seconds.
As I ony use it for net access, I removed Openoffice and other non-essential applications, turned off desktop effects, removed the bottom panel, made the panel and fonts a fraction smaller and then unticked lots of entries in the startup programs.

I recently tried to install Ubuntu 11.04 but it complained that there wasn't enough space and the install went no further.
EeePC 701 Ubuntu 10.04 || HP Pavilion DV6 Linux Mint 17 Mate Edition
davidMint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davidMint »

barrieluv wrote:
davidMint wrote:
From hitting the power button to the Gnome desktop, including log-in, 55 seconds.
As I ony use it for net access, I removed Openoffice and other non-essential applications, turned off desktop effects, removed the bottom panel, made the panel and fonts a fraction smaller and then unticked lots of entries in the startup programs.

I recently tried to install Ubuntu 11.04 but it complained that there wasn't enough space and the install went no further.
Thanks for all. I will try
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: [SOLVED]eee pc 701 and LM 11

Post by nunol »

I am fixing a 701 for a friend, it has Mint 10 and it takes 65 seconds from hitting the power button to the Gnome desktop (auto-login).

I am going to test it with Mint 11 LXDE, Mint XFCE and Lubuntu 11.10 Beta 1 to see what works best.

Return to “Installation & Boot”