Installation Problem With Lenovo Laptop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installation Problem With Lenovo Laptop

Postby bismay4u on Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:12 pm

I am having a Lenovo Laptop with a Toshiba Harddisk. Presently i have Windows XP as one OS and want to keep Linux Mint 4.0 - Daryna as second. Daryna boots and runs properly from CD in live mode. But then when i try to install it, it gets struck at the point just after scanning Hard disk partions, by giving up a popup box with only '?????????????' as title and contents of the Dialog. And then installation gets struck. Please somebody help me.
bismay4u
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installation Problem With Lenovo Laptop

Postby Husse on Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:30 am

Have you seen the alternatives to choose disk for installation or does it lock up before that?
Does your disk have a "recovery partition"? This may be the cause as these are sometimes made in a non regular way so a partition tool does not "understand" the disk and you can get lock ups.
As you can run the live CD ok try to make the necessary partitions before you install using Gparted.
Preferably one swap about one GB, and depending of the size of your disk one partition for root 5 to 10 GB and one partition for home 5 to 25 GB. You have of course to assign the partitions to their use during the install (manual partitioning) but this may help you overcome the problem.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Integrity on Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:33 am

I had a similar problem on my Lenovo Desktop. It was caused by my external USB drive.

Once I disconnected it everything was Minty.
Regards,

Warren J. Grisafi
Integrity Cleaning Systems, LLC.,
813-927-4315
http://www.integritytampa.com

You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.
~ Mary Pickford
Integrity
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bismay4u on Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:49 pm

I don't have any "recovery partitions".
I have already setup the partitions like 10 gb ext3,1.6 gb swap, 5 gb ext3 during manual Partitioning.
My parted_server quits unexpectedly.
Even if GParted starts, it scans the disk correctly, but on rescaning it also quits. Else every thing goes ok.
But I don't know how to proceed now on.
bismay4u
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot