Install fails at end, after copy.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roram3

Install fails at end, after copy.

Post by roram3 »

I have done five installations now, with both the Gnome and Xfce editions of LMDE 201108. The install seems smooth until the very end. It gets as far as copying "termlist.DB", then hangs. Consistently, in the same place. When I reboot, it just hangs at the grub prompt. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Install fails at end, after copy.

Post by remoulder »

Have you checked the MD5 sum on the .iso, burnt the disc at the 'slowest' speed, ran the "Check this disc for errors" check on the boot menu, tried another disc/cd drive/computer, checked your HDD for errors?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
roram3

Post by roram3 »

Not in so many words, but I have downloaded it several times and burned several copies, including two differnet versions, Gnome and Xfce. I used media and a burner that have been completely reliable. I can try burning it at a sower speed, but I doubt that will help. The fact that everything fails at the exact same place, after copying "termlist.DB", then locks up the box, implies to me it's a different problem, like a script failing or something. Who knows what is supposed to happen directly after the copying finishes? Some config script? Grub config?

Thanks in advance
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

roram3 wrote:Some config script? Grub config?
It is possible the installer cannot write the bootloader to your drive's MBR for some reason. This has been known to occur when some 3rd party software has been used to partition, e.g. Acronis True Image.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
valvemonkey

Post by valvemonkey »

Are you trying to encrypt your home folder? Every time I try to do this the install fails at the end. Haven't found a fix for this yet except not encrypting.
dboyd

Post by dboyd »

Had a similar thing happen to me. Check your free space.

Return to “Installation & Boot”