Installing Linux, specifically Mint, for first time...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installing Linux, specifically Mint, for first time...

Postby Jinnai on Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:39 pm

I've done some reading up, but wanted some advice for setting up partitions. I want to use virtualbox for running XP, specifically for gaming. Beyond that, I probably won't be running anything else.This will be my own personal computer and won't have anyone else using it (usually).

So how is the best way to setup partitions including:file format, size and number. I have 1 320 SATA drive and 1 120 EIDE. Mayve 1 80 EIDE...dunno about the last.

Also...is there an easy way to keep people from installing stuff without permission without swapping out to a guest account? My friend sometimes uses my computer to play WoW and he tends to install programs on my computer without asking...minor ones, but i'd prefer he not do this.
Jinnai
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing Linux, specifically Mint, for first time...

Postby exploder on Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:58 pm

I am not sure about your partitioning question, you have a lot of space! I know ext3 would probably be best for your file system. With so much space I would just let Mint automatically set up the partitions.

As long as no one knows your password they can not install anything. I have just one account on my machine and it is set to auto log, so anyone can use my pc. Only I know the password. My Wife and Kids can use my pc if one of the others is in use and I do not have to worry about anything getting messed up too bad.

I try and keep things simple, someone else may have another idea.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Installation & Boot