livecd boots then reboots machine [solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jsurgeson

livecd boots then reboots machine [solved]

Post by jsurgeson »

LiveCD: Linux Mint 11 Katya 64bit
Machine: Asus K8V SE Delux / 3GB mem / Radeon HD4650 / Sata HD / Sata DVD / IDE DVD

I am booting from IDE DVD as this mb does not see sata DVD as bootable device, my problem is
when trying to install mint from LiveCD, it loads the boot menu, no matter which option you select,
run mint, compatible mode, it proceeds, ............loading etc then flashes READY (i think) however after
a second or two the machine reboots.

I am fairly sure this is not a hardware issue, and say say this because if I try and boot from a Gentoo
Live install dvd, it installs fine.

So I assume it is some parameter that needs to be passed to kernel, but I am not linux savy enough to
know what. The strange thing is I also downloaded a Ubuntu 11.04 livecd and it had similar problems, did
not reboot but went to black screen and went to sleep, pressing F6 and playing with with similar boot options
as below also did not help.

I have tried TAB at 1st mint menu, and played with some options I have found on other posts,
[noapic noacpi nolcpi nosplash]

None of these made any difference!

I am currently running Gentoo and would really like to find a suitable alternative, and was impressed with comments
on Linux mint. But if I cant get it to install on my current hardware it is a no option for me.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

SOLVED:
turns out that you can only install from a IDE cd/dvdrom on the asus KV8, it will not install from sata, there is possibly
ways around it by upgrading bios, or something else, time to toss the MB out I suppose :cry:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: livecd boots then reboots machine

Post by richyrich »

Have you tried this boot parameter ?

Code: Select all

radeon.modeset=0
jsurgeson

Post by jsurgeson »

Thanks you for prompt reply:

No I have not, machine busy downloading LMDE iso, as soon as it has finished i will try that.
Any idea were I would find a list of all the possible boot options?

Also tried with ubutu install, added nomodeset as option, got a bit further still crashed with pages of
SQUASHFS: errsos
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

jsurgeson

Post by jsurgeson »

I thought this was a Linux Mint forum?

Return to “Installation & Boot”