Mint 4.0 Install Freezes at 15%

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint 4.0 Install Freezes at 15%

Postby remo732 on Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:48 am

Ok, downloaded ISO checked md5sum and it was good 2 go. Live CD is slow but I get it installing. It freezes every time at 15%. Not just the install, the whole thing freezes and i can't even move the mouse cursor. I redownloaded from a different server and reburned the ISO. Again froze at 15%. Searched forums and no help found. Thanks for your help.
remo732

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 4.0 Install Freezes at 15%

Postby remo732 on Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:21 am

forgot to add, already installed and ran the last 4 versions of ubuntu (including gutsy) without any trouble. PC is a Gateway P3-1GHZ, i think 256 MBs of ram.
remo732

Postby remo732 on Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:13 am

ok tried this fix:

sudo apt-get install ubiquity-frontend-gtk
sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-frontend-kde
sudo ubiquity

and it did not help. It still locks up at 15%. Anyone have any ideas?
remo732

Postby remo732 on Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:32 am

confused?!?!?

Ok, finally for no apparent reason it worked. The above commands are no longer necessary because I checked synaptic package manager and it showed that kde was not installed and the most current version of gtk was already installed. this is what worked for me and I don't know why. I entered the launcher command for the install launcher on the desktop with sudo in front of it i.e.

sudo ubiquity -- desktop %k gtk_ui

tried it this way a few times and it didn't work. then i tried it again and this time when i got to the partitioning screen, instead of entering guided-whole disk, i did manual. It tried to install-went to 15% - and then back to 5% - and then told me that it could not use my manual configuration and kicked me back to the partition screen. so now i tried guided-whole disk again and it worked fine. I guess you just have to keep f***ing with it until it kinda sorta works.

Well hopefully someone learned from this post. As for Linux Mint, coming from someone that has been a huge Ubuntu supporter for a couple of years now:

1. For ease of installation F----------- I mean confused? I finally found a post showing that i was not the only one with this problem, and the solution given by cema did not work.

2. Why a live CD??? I don't mean why not an alternate install cd, and I don't mean why does linux mint use liveCD for install. What I mean is why the hell does anyone in the known universe ever use liveCD. IT DOESN'T WORK!!!! It doesn't work for ubuntu and it doesn't work for mint and it doesn't work for anyone else, and when it does work it runs soooooo slow for no reason. LiveCD is only good for stand alone distros like Backtrack. Not for installation! Nobody cares how pretty the installation is, and i mean NOBODY - not one person (other than developers). We just want it installed fast and simple. We expect tweaking and jumping through hoops and long hours of configuring after the OS is installed, but doing all of that to get it installed is rediculous. I guarantee that it is driving away customers (I realize its free, but the more users, the more advertisers will pay and the more donations sent). I certianly cannot recommend this distro to non-experience linux users and I haven't even booted it up yet.

3. I'm sorry to be so negative but this is a pretty common complaint in the forums. Otherwise I am looking forward to evaluating this distro. It seems pretty promising, and I hope it lives up to what I have heard about it. I read a post on ubuntu forums that said that mint is was ubuntu should be if not for their assinine policies, that everyone disreguards as soon as they install it. They said specifically that mint 4.0 should be called ubuntu 7.11. If it is really that good, please make the installation process better. I have no doubt that your popularity will skyrocket when you do.

Ok, thanks for reading. Just to beat the dead horse, DO NOT BOTHER WITH LIVECD ANYMORE. Please just make a text installation that does the job right and easy and fast. NOT ONE PERSON CARES ABOUT A PRETTY INSTALLATION SCREEN.
remo732

Postby deadguy on Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:40 pm

bummer the mint live cd's give you a headache.
they've always worked just fine for me and a lot of other people I know.

personally, I like the live cd idea.(and no I am NOT a developer!!!)
that way you can check hardware compatibility and such.

hopefully you feel a little better after venting. :?
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby remo732 on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:57 am

I do feel better after venting and a good night sleep. Sorry if I was being grumpy.
remo732

Postby deadguy on Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:28 am

I have had problems installing mint with 256MB of ram.

in my personal experience, i've found it takes at least 320MB to install mint.(not the case with ubuntu)

if you can create a swap partition on your hd first, it may give the live cd the boost it needs
to successfully install. :D
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot