samba server after a new install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobv

samba server after a new install

Post by bobv »

I think this is the right place.. I set up a samba server several years ago on a Linux Mint 8 OS. Everything has been operating well but now I'd live to upgrade to Mint 11. I thought I'd do this by installing them side by side as protection against down time from being able to connect to data on "myshare".

My question is this: Am I in danger of loosing data on myshare by having those file referenced by two different servers even though only one will be up at a time? I'm hoping not to have to reestablish connections from client PCs on the network, so naming will need to be identical. I assuming here that all the server information is actually contained in the file system of the individual Mist OS, and that the data is simply data and swappable among different Linux OS. Am I making any sense?

My Last Question: Eventually I plan to delete the Mint 8 OS. What will that do to the Boot. Will I need to modify the Grub loader manual at that time?

I could leave things as they are but what fun would be in that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: samba server after a new install

Post by altair4 »

In general it depends on where the shared directory is located. If it's in a separate data partition then it doesn't matter. If it's located in your home directory then it could be a problem if the 2 OS's are from a different branch of the Linux family because the login user name may be the same but the user id is different. In your case they are both Mint so it shouldn't matter. Just make sure that when you decide to remove Mint8 that you remember that you have a share in there somewhere.

I can't help you with the grub question as I don't use grub to multiboot.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
acerimusdux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by acerimusdux »

Well you could remove Mint without removing the bootloader. But if you eventually plan to remove it, the best option might be to not install it to the mbr. If you just install grub to the partition though, there's a free utility for Windows called EasyBCD that will allow you to edit the windows bootloader to boot your linux. This is probably the best way to do a dual boot.
bobv

Post by bobv »

Yes the data is on different directory and actually on a separate drive. I do this as standard practice. Otherwise that is about I expected. thanks altair4

Return to “Installation & Boot”