My computer will NOT install linux

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dariushall69

My computer will NOT install linux

Post by dariushall69 »

I have a custom build computer, I'm not sure of all it's stats or parts, but it's nice, up until about 3 months ago. This computer refuses to boot or install ANY OS I have tried EVERYTHING and it won't help. I've bought a super boot computer recovery disc, and it still won't work. I can get it to boot into live with my flash drive I made with LiLi USB Creator, but when I try to install it it says ERROR I can get the error code it gives me if needed, then it says that the installer crashed. I am about ready to just throw the computer away I have no idea what to do anymore. Thanks in advance for any and all help

-Darius.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fandangio

Re: My computer will NOT install linux

Post by Fandangio »

If your PC works from USB (or for that matter CD or DVD) most of your PC components are fine. In fact it could only be your HDD that is faulty.

Can you access files on your HDD when running from USB?
dariushall69

Post by dariushall69 »

I've never really tried, I have used a HDD destroyer to wipe it and it has been partioned by Linux, it says that there is an error copying to or from the CD (I guess it's refering to my memory stick) and then it says the installer has crashed. What should I do to try and access the files? Although I have tried doing it with a different HDD and it still doesn't work. Maybe there's something wrong on the motherboard causing it not to let my HDD work right?
acerimusdux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by acerimusdux »

Boot with the flash drive.
See what drives are recognized (try "lshw -short|grep disk").
For the drive found as above, lets assume /dev/sda1.
Then you would try "fdisk -l /dev/sda1", to see how the disk is partitioned.

One possibility might be that you will need to reinstall a MBR.
dariushall69

Post by dariushall69 »

acerimusdux wrote:Boot with the flash drive.
See what drives are recognized (try "lshw -short|grep disk").
For the drive found as above, lets assume /dev/sda1.
Then you would try "fdisk -l /dev/sda1", to see how the disk is partitioned.

One possibility might be that you will need to reinstall a MBR.
Should try that in the terminal once it's booted? It seems to work alright when it's running in live mode, but it runs out of memory on the memory stick fast and crashes back to the real linux console. I'm new to linux.
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

Can you give us the spec of your PC?
dariushall69

Post by dariushall69 »

What exactly do you need? It's nVidia, the motherboard was put together by Biostar, it has a HD Nvidia graphics card, a western digital 350gb hdd, an AMD processor, I'm not sure it's exact Mhz, it has a little over 1gb of ram i think.

Return to “Installation & Boot”