Graphics Problem During Install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Harry F

Graphics Problem During Install

Post by Harry F »

I am trying to install Mint on a Core i3 iMac with a Radeon HD 4670 graphics card. The problem is, I've tried all modes of install, but when Gnome tries to load, both displays go blank and will never display any desktop.

There is a driver issue when trying to install Windows 7 on this machine. Apple has provided drivers to remedy the install for Windows. I don't know if this has anything to do with the Linux install.

I was successful in getting a desktop with the Fedora installer, however, I wish to run Mint, and don't know a way around this.

I believe it's the model of graphics card. There are no widespread drivers issued for this card, maybe due to it's lack of installed base.

Has anyone run into this rare problem?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Graphics Problem During Install

Post by richyrich »

Suggestion ;
When you boot the Live disk, and it is counting down the seconds, press any key to get to the menu list. Now press E to edit the boot line, (along the bottom of the screen) , use the arrow keys to navigate to where you see "quiet splash" . . replace quiet splash inside the quotes with :

Code: Select all

radeon.modeset=0
then hit the Enter key to continue to boot up your machine . .
Harry F

Post by Harry F »

Partitioning disk right now. As soon as I'm done, will give it a try and let you know!

Thanks.
Harry F

Post by Harry F »

Just tried your suggestion, (above), and the initialization got further than before, but when the system tried to start the graphics desktop, display stayed black. The desktop was up and running, as the desktop startup sound played.

Will hunt around as I see other fixes mentioned.
Harry F

Post by Harry F »

I have just tried every workaround for my graphics problem that I could find, pertaining to the distribution...Mint 11 64 bit, that I can find.

Nothing is working. I do get as far as the final desktop initialization, and it does, as I hear the 'chime' that sounds when it's up and ready. I can't change resolutions. I edit the startup lines for my Radeon HD 4670 card, which give me more textual progress than I had at the beginning.

I don't want to give up on Mint, but I'm at wits end.

I have tried the Mint 'Debian' release as well. That went further at first, now it progresses as far as the standard Mint release does.

Can anyone else give me some suggestions here? I would appreciate it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”