corrupted boot record [not solved, but closed]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dehawkinz

corrupted boot record [not solved, but closed]

Post by dehawkinz »

I know this is off-topic for a linux forum, but I thought maybe someone out there might know the answer :)

My wifes laptop died recently, it was running Windows Vista (64bit) In trying to fix it, I managed to wipe the MBR. I was able to install Linux Mint, and she likes it (yay) but she is a fan of her Windows games, and is having problems getting wine to install and run some of them. She would like to be able to boot to Vista for her games, and use Mint for the rest.

I am unable to install Vista direct from the DVD as it wants drivers for the hard drive. I am hopeful of recovering it from the recovery partition, but need to be able to boot to Windows.

Now, the problem is, the laptop is failing to recognise the hard drive in 'native' mode, and so I am unable to access the drive to rebuild the MBR via command prompt off the Vista DVD. Is it possible to rebuild the MBR via Linux?

Thanks

Richard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wyrdoak

Re: corrupted boot record

Post by wyrdoak »

you will probably have to use gpart to make a partition for it and format that partion in NTFS so Window$ can see it, then install.

But be prepared to reinstall grub back to the MBR for Window$ doesn't play nice with others.
dehawkinz

Post by dehawkinz »

thats the problem

it exists already :(

currently the hard drive looks something like this

sda1 Windows Recovery partition ntfs 10GB
sda2 windows OS (nearly empty) ntfs 120GB
sda3 extended 112GB
sda5 / ext4 108GB
sda6 linux-swap 4GB

I did try doing fdisk -l to get more complete listing ( I used gparted to get above information) but it did not output any information (I probably did it wrong, I am only on day 5 of using linux as an OS LOL)
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

dehawkinz wrote:
Now, the problem is, the laptop is failing to recognise the hard drive in 'native' mode, and so I am unable to access the drive to rebuild the MBR via command prompt off the Vista DVD. Is it possible to rebuild the MBR via Linux?

Thanks

Richard
ms-sys program can make a Vista MBR also .. 8)

http://ms-sys.sourceforge.net/

sudo ms-sys -i /dev/sda

After running ms-sys only windows will boot up, so you have to reinstall grub afterwards.
Last edited by oobetimer on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

You don't have a recovery disk for you computer?
Some computers can start the recovery process from the BIO's, I just don't know the right key to push for your computer or even if it's there.

The recovery disk should have the info needed to restore you system from your recovery partition.(might check the manufacturer's site they might have one you can download.

I'd Try ms-sys first.
dehawkinz

Post by dehawkinz »

wyrdoak wrote:You don't have a recovery disk for you computer?
Some computers can start the recovery process from the BIO's, I just don't know the right key to push for your computer or even if it's there.

The recovery disk should have the info needed to restore you system from your recovery partition.(might check the manufacturer's site they might have one you can download.

I'd Try ms-sys first.
I do have recovery disk, but it expects to find a windows stub to launch from. I spoke to manufacturer, and the disk needs to be launched from windows boot
(You F8 on windows boot and select recover computer, except it could not manage to see disk to launch from)

I will try ms-sys :)
dehawkinz

Post by dehawkinz »

hmmmm

that did not work :(

it wiped the linux boot loader, but still failed to recognise any operating system when I installed Vista.

Had major problems getting mint back on, kept getting an input/output error when copying files across. Finally managed to do it by wiping entire drive, installing oem version of mint (julia) and then installing that as though it was a factory fresh install.

I think I am going to try and find a mega-idiots guide to wine, because I can not figure it out LOL

thanks for you help guys :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”