Disable Caps Lock?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
redwoodguy

Disable Caps Lock?

Post by redwoodguy »

I tried searching out a means for doing this. Various code was offered under generic Linux, but none worked on my Mint 11/Toshiba Satellite install. My preference would be for the Caps Lock key to be "dead" as in no action at all. There was a menu in the preference panel, but all the good useful options were grayed out and not selectable. I'd like to kill this key once and be done with it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Disable Caps Lock?

Post by xenopeek »

I got this :D Took me while to find, and I tried all kind of command line tools suggested on forums, but it couldn't be easier than this:
- Go to Menu -> Control Center -> Keyboard
- Go to the Layouts tab and press Options... button
- Expand "Caps Lock key behavior" and set it to "Caps Lock is disabled"
redwoodguy

Post by redwoodguy »

Wow! That was easy! I can't believe I messed around with all kinds of shell codes and there it is in the control center!
Thanks! I can finally type again!
LauraEss

Post by LauraEss »

I'm new to Mint 12 and I have the same problem, but I can't find any CONTROL CENTER on the Menu, or any reference to Layouts. Has it been moved somewhere else?
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

LauraEss wrote:I'm new to Mint 12 and I have the same problem, but I can't find any CONTROL CENTER on the Menu, or any reference to Layouts. Has it been moved somewhere else?
Control center only in MATE DE in LM12, if you using Cinnamon /GNOME . search system setting from menu you will see keyboard layout. In MGSE you can see system setting on right top panel, behind your login name
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

I just used SupaGloo. :wink:

Return to “Installation & Boot”