[SOLVED]Grub showing amd64 but I have intel

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Domingi

[SOLVED]Grub showing amd64 but I have intel

Post by Domingi »

Linux mint debian gnome 64bit install as dual boot with win7 on a toshibaL655-S5061 laptop.
I have made 7 attempts to install this from a thumb drive iso. Each time I reach the grub OS selection screen, I am presented with "LinuxMint GNU/Linux, 2.6.39-2-amd64" (as well as recovery and my win 7 selections.
Selecting either of the Linux choices puts me into an almost perpetual loop of panic errors and 30 second reboots. I say almost because if I leave it to it's madness, every once in a while (maybe 20 reboots). It will boot into Linux and appear to run fine.
The files in the boot/grub folder have the amd64 suffix.... And this laptop is an Intel duo CPU machine.
Grub was installed within the normal installs of LinuxMint.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
beer-in-box

Re: Grub showing amd64 but I have intel

Post by beer-in-box »

I think it only means that you are trying to install 64 bit version of it.

I don't know the story behind this, but I have installed Mint 64 bit, and it said amd64. And I have an Intel processor too. It won't be a matter I guess.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

amd64 is just grown to be called that historically I think, you use this for both AMD and Intel 64-bits processors.

You may try at the GRUB boot menu to press the 'e' key on the Linux entry, to edit the boot parameters. Scroll down to the line starting with "linux" and replace on that line "quiet splash" with "nomodeset acpi=off" (without the quotes). See if this allows you to boot, or at least shows you an error. Probably you need a graphics card driver.

Alternatively, try replacing with "xforcevesa acpi=off".

Correction: the alternative should be "xforcevesa=xforcevesa acpi=off".
Last edited by xenopeek on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Domingi

Post by Domingi »

Thanks for the info. Will try right now and report back.
Domingi

Re: [SOLVED]Grub showing amd64 but I have intel

Post by Domingi »

Replacing the splash with "xforcevesa=xforcevesa acpi=off" worked.

Thanks much for the help. The forum works ! :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Domingi wrote:Replacing the splash with "xforcevesa=xforcevesa acpi=off" worked.

Thanks much for the help. The forum works ! :D
Good, now try if it will work with just xforcevesa=xforcevesa or with just acpi=off. Perhaps having run the Update Manager will have upgraded some packages so you don't have the error anymore in any case. If needed, you can make such a boot parameter permanent with:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
And adding it the the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line (inside the quotes). Then save & close the file, and run:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub2
Now the boot parameters are automatically set each boot (until you change it here again).
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can just use xforcevesa instead of xforcevesa=xforcevesa which is somewhat overkill.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

AlbertP wrote:You can just use xforcevesa instead of xforcevesa=xforcevesa which is somewhat overkill.
Ah, I wasn't sure...

Return to “Installation & Boot”