how to adjust grub?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Katyanewb

how to adjust grub?

Post by Katyanewb »

I need to do two things with my grub (as installed by Debian):

1) give myself more than four seconds before the default selection boots

2) change the order of the listed OSs so that the default selection is the one I want

Any quick and easy way to do that? Right now I have Debian as default selection, followed by Debian recovery mode, followed by Katya, followed by Katya recovery mode.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: how to adjust grub?

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Katyanewb

Post by Katyanewb »

I must admit I'm VERY displeased about how Debian screwed up my grub without my permission.

When I boot Katya and update grub, I'm told the latest version is already running. Then I run startupmanager and it shows Katya as being the default boot OS. I increase the boot delay from 10 seconds to 30 seconds, make sure Katya is the default boot, then save and reboot.

On restart I get the Debian splash screen, Debian shows as the default boot system, and the boot delay is still only 6 seconds. So my editing of grub in Katya has no effect on the version of grub that's actually being used by my system.

And the worst thing is that, when installing Debian, I was NOT given the choice to leave my original version of grub in place. The Debian version of grub was automatically installed over top of it--and now I can't edit it from within Katya.

Quite angry now.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Katyanewb wrote:I must admit I'm VERY displeased about how Debian screwed up my grub without my permission.

When I boot Katya and update grub, I'm told the latest version is already running. Then I run startupmanager and it shows Katya as being the default boot OS. I increase the boot delay from 10 seconds to 30 seconds, make sure Katya is the default boot, then save and reboot.

On restart I get the Debian splash screen, Debian shows as the default boot system, and the boot delay is still only 6 seconds. So my editing of grub in Katya has no effect on the version of grub that's actually being used by my system.

And the worst thing is that, when installing Debian, I was NOT given the choice to leave my original version of grub in place. The Debian version of grub was automatically installed over top of it--and now I can't edit it from within Katya.

Quite angry now.
Angry?

Probably need to understand there are two OS, each has boot loader.
But to boot computer, bios will pass over to the one that control MBR.

So one of the two OS's boot loader is controlling your MBR.
Your case seems to be Debian boot loader is controlling the MBR
so changing on Katya boot loader has no effect on the boot selection because you have not yet change Debian boot loader.

But then there are all up to you.
You can let Debian boot loader continue to control MBR
You can let katya boot loader to take over control of MBR
You can install another boot loader to control MBR.

If you want katya boot loader to control MBR, just boot to Katya, and open a terminal, type this command

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

it will put kayta boot loader into the MBR and upon reboot, whatever you set on katya startup manager will appear..

have fun
Katyanewb

Post by Katyanewb »

It worked, so thanks. :)

But the Debian install DVD should have given me the choice whether to replace the existing bootloader instead of just replacing it automatically.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

Return to “Installation & Boot”