Booting Linux Mint Installer from USB using GRUB Legacy

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
todda7

Booting Linux Mint Installer from USB using GRUB Legacy

Post by todda7 »

Hello.

Don't mind the why's, but I need to boot the Linux Mint 11 x64 GNOME 'DVD' from a FAT32-partitioned USB drive using GRUB Legacy. It should _NOT_ be persistent.
I have tried
title Linux Mint Installer X64
kernel /casper2/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper BOOT=casper quiet splash
initrd /casper2/initrd.lz
but I get the error "Authentication Failure" (from Mint, not from GRUB).
As you can see, I also need to rename the casper folder, but that should not be a problem.

Any tips?
Thank you for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
todda7

Re: Booting Linux Mint Installer from USB using GRUB Legacy

Post by todda7 »

I found the reason for my problem, though not a solution.

I copied the .iso into a folder named iso on the root of the USB-stick. Then I did:
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /iso/linuxmint-11-gnome-dvd-64bit.iso
map --mem /iso/linuxmint-11-gnome-dvd-64bit.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)
Which produced the same error as booting it directly with GRUB Legacy (not chainloading).
Now the reason for the failure I believe is because it snatches and uses the casper-rw partition located on the USB-stick. This partition is NOT for the Linux Mint Installer, but for a Backtrack 5 persistent install I have on the same stick.

Does anybody know how to avoid this problem? The solution is to make Linux Mint not search for or utilize the casper-rw partition. I don't know how.
todda7

Post by todda7 »

I fixed it!

kernel /casper2/vmlinuz boot=casper BOOT=casper live-media-path=/casper2/ nopersistent
initrd /casper2/initrd.lz

The only apparent problem I have now, is that the desktop icon (in the Linux Mint Live Installer) says "Install BackTrack Live". Maybe I forgot to install some config-files or something, but ill install linux mint and see what happens. Hopefully it's just the name, not the installer which is wrong. But does anybody know why the name changed?
todda7

Post by todda7 »

The installer is working. Linux Mint X64 Gnome was installed succesfully.

Thank you for watching.

Return to “Installation & Boot”