Installing Linux Mint on Virtual Clients

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installing Linux Mint on Virtual Clients

Postby macrohard1 on Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:14 pm

Has anyone here had success on loading Linux Mint onto Virtualbox? Ive been able to install it in VMWare but have always had sound card problems in virtual clients, while I dont have those issues in Virtualbox.

The boot screen will come up and I choose to Start Linux Mint, it loads the kernel, then nothing.....
macrohard1
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing Linux Mint on Virtual Clients

Postby bradodo on Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:53 pm

Does Virtualbox allow you to load/boot directly from an .iso file? I have done this with VMWare when the O/S wouldn't properly boot from the disk. Maybe try Mint as an .iso file and loading in virtualbox....?
bradodo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chanwoman on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:45 am

I had no trouble installing Linux Mint on a VMWare Workstation under Ubuntu using an ISO image burnt onto a DVD, however, I am unable to access my shared folders on the windows XP host and it is not picking up my external USB HDD. Any clue??
chanwoman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bradodo on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:37 am

hi chanwoman,
alas, I too have not had any luck getting my install of VMWare to find my USB sticks either ..... they give you the option but it has never worked for me. As for the file sharing, my setup involved preparing the virtual guest with a "Host-only" network connection, and ensuring both guest and host are in the same 'Workgroup' or domain. In Mint go to Administration -> Shared Folders to configure your workgroup/domain settings. Find out the IP address of the virtual guest and ping them from the host to check connectivity.
Now setup Samba/Shared folders(or Network Wizard) & allow file/printer sharing on the guest & host. Also configure the domain settings in Network Manager (or by windows network wizard) if required.
You should be able to find the guest shares from the host, via Network/Network places .... use this share to swap between host and guest. It sometimes takes a while to connect machines as well. I hope this helps!!
bradodo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Guest on Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:06 am

My USB is working now, in the top banner of the vmware workstation bar, there is a button called vm, click on that and select removable device and just choose your usb device. In my case, it disconnects the device from my windows host and mount it on the Linux Mint guest. SWEET!!!
Still no luck with the file sharing, I have an Ubuntu 7.10 guest and all I do is enable the shared folder in the vmware setup, select the folder that I am sharing and the all come up in the /mnt folder in the guest OS, Mint is just acting a bit strange.

Postby bradodo on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:11 pm

I'm running vmware on Linux Mint (host) with WinXP (& others) as guests, apparently the Windows version of vmware server has always had more functionality .... this may change soon, as vmware tools is being improved upon for linux. :D
bradodo
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot