Upgrade from Ubuntu 11.04 to LinuxMint?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joez

Upgrade from Ubuntu 11.04 to LinuxMint?

Post by joez »

For me and many of my friends, the computer is a tool most useful in increasing our productivity. About 6 years ago I selected Ubuntu after trying a number of Linux distributions finding it to fill our needs with the least complications. Except for some minor problems, each upgrade appeared to be an improvement until 11.04 which introduced the Unity Desktop, and now it appears that 11.10 will eliminate the Gnome classic Desktop. I just downloaded the Mint Live DVD, and tried it out while some friends were visiting who are also unimpressed by Unity and Gnome 3, and we each decided to replace Ubuntu with Linux Mint assuming, I hope correctly, that Linux Mint will not also eliminate our preferred Desktop as an option. Now for my question.

We would like to know how best to move from Ubuntu 10.10 or 11.04 to Linux Mint and what steps and precautions need be exercised in order to accomplish this most efficiently without loss of any personal data, along with retaining applications which have been installed in Ubuntu above those included in the initial default install. None of us are Linux experts, just basic users, and I assume some here may have already switched from Ubuntu to Linux Mint for similar reasons, and might be able to provide some helpful hints.
Thanks.

P.S.
The default Linux Mint Desktop, although less preferred than the old Gnome we have been using, came in as our second choice should we be forced to change to another Desktop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Upgrade from Ubuntu 11.04 to LinuxMint?

Post by remoulder »

There is no upgrade path from ubuntu to mint as mint is a different distro even if based on ubuntu. However you should be able to install mint using this tutorial.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

joez wrote:We would like to know how best to move from Ubuntu 10.10 or 11.04 to Linux Mint and what steps and precautions need be exercised in order to accomplish this most efficiently without loss of any personal data, along with retaining applications which have been installed in Ubuntu above those included in the initial default install. None of us are Linux experts, just basic users, and I assume some here may have already switched from Ubuntu to Linux Mint for similar reasons, and might be able to provide some helpful hints.
Thanks.
I would suggest you back up all your applications and software using APTonCD and the Backup Tool. If Ubuntu doesn't have APTonCD by default, you can install it by opening the terminal and putting in(I got the instruction for this on this site http://www.webupd8.org/2010/07/install- ... ackup.html:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install aptoncd
And you need the Backup Tool too so put these codes into terminal one by one:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/mintbackup && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mintbackup
After you have backed up all your software using these methods, download the Linux Mint cd and do a fresh install.
Btw, I have Ubuntu on my laptop and I HATE the desktop environment. Mint is awesome!
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

For both Ubuntu and Mint main-editions ... a 'fresh' install is always recommended over a system upgrade.

An upgrade, of the system, from one version to the next newer version ... and/or a cross-system-upgrade, is possible, but not recommended.
joez

Post by joez »

As fresh install will require some effort, and I just saw that Linux Mint 12 is supposed to become available within a month, I will wait a little longer before making the attempt. Thanks to all for the tips in the meantime.

Return to “Installation & Boot”