Boot to command line or low res X

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pmatos

Boot to command line or low res X

Post by pmatos »

Hi,

I have an unsupported video card and I used nomodeset to install Mint as suggested by AlbertP:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=83151

I have installed mint but now when it boots it hangs while trying to load X.
How can I start Mint onto the command line or to low res X (like I did with nomodeset for install) so I can install the nvidia drivers before loading X properly?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Boot to command line or low res X

Post by xenopeek »

Hold shift during boot to show the GRUB boot menu. Press 'e' to edit the boot parameters, then scroll to the "linux" line. Replace "quiet splash" on that line with "nomodeset" (without the quotes) and continue the boot.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please tell what videocard you use. Perhaps it is easy to solve.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
pmatos

Post by pmatos »

AlbertP wrote:Please tell what videocard you use. Perhaps it is easy to solve.
NVidia GEforce 525M
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

When you want to boot a Mint CD, you can press a key during "automatic boot in 10 seconds" and then go to Compatibility Mode. You can edit compatibility mode and add nomodeset.
After that you can install Mint. And then you can boot with recovery mode > low graphics mode. When that's finished you can install the NVidia driver from the Additional Drivers program in the menu.
pmatos

Post by pmatos »

AlbertP wrote:When you want to boot a Mint CD, you can press a key during "automatic boot in 10 seconds" and then go to Compatibility Mode. You can edit compatibility mode and add nomodeset.
After that you can install Mint. And then you can boot with recovery mode > low graphics mode. When that's finished you can install the NVidia driver from the Additional Drivers program in the menu.
Is the latest nvidia 285 (which includes support for my card) available on the repository or do I have to install it manually?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The Additional Drivers program uses the 270 driver - which does not yet support 5xxM. You can download it from the nvidia website, but installing that driver is very complex.
pmatos

Post by pmatos »

AlbertP wrote:The Additional Drivers program uses the 270 driver - which does not yet support 5xxM. You can download it from the nvidia website, but installing that driver is very complex.
Guess I have no other option then... complex way it is.
How did you find out which version the Additional Drivers program uses?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can look in Software or Package manager for nvidia-current - and then it displays the 270 version number. And Additional Drivers installs... exactly, nvidia-current.

Here is a .deb file with the 285 driver - perhaps the easiest way to get 285 working.
http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/ ... _amd64.deb (64-bit)
http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/ ... 1_i386.deb (32-bit)

You can just double-click that file and then it installs. It might want to download some additional packages from the web; make sure that you're connected to internet.

Return to “Installation & Boot”