Installing on a drive with multiple partitions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installing on a drive with multiple partitions

Postby glassarchitect86@yahoo,com on Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:59 pm

Hi all...
I am trying to install mint on a hard drive, with multiple NTFS partitions. One of them is empty, and is the partition I would like to format and repartition to use for mint. But when I use the install executable, I can't figure out how to just select that space on the drive to use... it wants to change the entire drive's partition scheme.
How would I go about just using that space (roughly 32gig) for mint?
Thanks!
glassarchitect86@yahoo,com

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing on a drive with multiple partitions

Postby McLovin on Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:49 am

You just have to go into manually partition, but I would first ask you, how familiar you are with partitioning? If you are not sure about how to partition an HDD, I would recommend you read up on it, this is a good place to start, it has a few videos on how to partition you driver for linux, (the videos show ubuntu, but the process is the same). But make sure you know what you are doing before you try to do it, you can whack things pretty bad when partitioning if mess something up.
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby glassarchitect on Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:22 am

I've partitioned before.. so I should completely ignore the install program first, and just partition that disk space using fdisk first... then when I use the install program it should display the partitions I had created?
glassarchitect
Level 1
Level 1

Postby McLovin on Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:32 am

no, when you click the install now icon from the live cd, you go through all the set-up screens to the "disk partitioning" step, once there just select partition disk manually, then it will take you to GParted, which will allow you to partition your disk however you like.
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby glassarchitect on Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:09 am

ahh, okay.
I was just hesitant because a dialogue popped up saying that it could wipe the existing partition scheme and I wasn't sure if that would happen immediately when I clicked ok... I didn't want to loose my other windows partitions.

-edit-
So when I select manual, it let's me select the free space on the hard drive, and the dialogue to create the partitions... but it seems like it's letting me create those partitions from just the free space, I can't see the 32gig ntfs partition that I want to use the space from... Should I delete that partition first in windows, perhaps, so it'll include it in the free space? Because I don't see a way through the install...
glassarchitect
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot