[Closed]Mint 11 hangs on requirements screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jk121960

[Closed]Mint 11 hangs on requirements screen

Post by jk121960 »

HI, To make a long story short, my daughters wanted me to install Linux so I said ok, box has windows 7 already installed so I set up a dual boot gave 200 gig /root and 50 gig swap (large I know but 2TB drive) . There is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L Mobo with 4 gigs of ram and an nvidia GT430 card and a d-link wireless. I started the install and when you get to the part in the beginning where it shows the install requirements, How much disk space etc, the install hangs. I tried multiple times same result. So I said OK, tried Ubuntu 11.04 same result, so I tried Debian 6021 it went in. So it is in the Ubuntu layer or the interaction thereof. I got a hold of a Ubuntu 11.04 Alternate install(text based) and tried that and it went in. The alternate has the text based install. So I was wondering if someone has an idea of what this or is there a text based Mint edition. I want Mint because it is a much more finished desktop product. Hopefully someone has run into this and knows what to do.

thanks

--jerry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Mint 11 hangs on requirements screen

Post by proxima_centauri »

jk121960 wrote:200 gig /root and 50 gig swap (large I know but 2TB drive)
Please delete that SWAP partition and make a new one that is 4GB. There is no reason on the planet that would justify a SWAP partition that large. It only needs to be the equivalent of your RAM for modern computers.
Unfortunately, there is no text-based alternate installer for Linux Mint
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

jk121960 wrote:50 gig swap (large I know but 2TB drive)
LOLZ! Dude, unless you have like 16MB RAM, the 50GB of swap wont really come in handy. Besides, 2GB of swap works fine for a computer with 3GB RAM.

Wow, lol this was funny...50GB of swap....
No offence lol, but make it like 4GB max if you have like 8GB or higher. Swap=paging file (I think), so it takes a long time for it to write to the harddrive and it will slow down your harddrive's performance (if you have less than 512MB of RAM).
jk121960

Post by jk121960 »

Truthfully the reason the swap is that big is that was the left over space after I divided the device up in as many partitions as possible. I realize it don't need it and I have never seen more then a couple of mg in it. But are you serious about the size making it fail?

thanks --jerry
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

No no, the swap file didn't make the installation fail, its something else, but swap should be between 1GB to 4GB (or 8GB if your RAM is like 16GB).

Return to “Installation & Boot”