Complete Newb To Linux Needs Help

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Complete Newb To Linux Needs Help

Post by atlef »

When I boot the CD everything loads fine until I tell it to boot or boot in safe graphics mode. The first solution I tried was the remove the "quiet splash --" option which I did. When I ran it through I would get the following odd error:
Do not know if it helps, but try to only remove splash, not quiet.

Atlef
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I can tell you immediately what the root of your trouble is - it's your motherboard. I suspected that already before I saw your specs - PC Chips is crap (For legal reasons - this is my expert opinion, but not necessarily official Mint policy)
Do you use SATA? If so you have to check the settings for it in BIOS, to tell you what/how I'd have to see the BIOS as I can't find a manual. There should be DMA/PIO mode settings for ATA but for SATA I don't think there is much that is possible to configure. (Possibly legacy)
Why do I suspect your motherboard?
First off because of this error "end_request I/O error dev fd0 sector 0" fd0 is the floppy and this may indicate something with the mobo as the live CD does not in any way tinker with the floppy.
Second and most importantly because of the two other error messages which both begin with ata1 which indicates problems with the IDE (or ATA) controller
Sorry but that's how it is
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't know if removing the floppy would help. The live CD simply does not utilize it.
But this may help
Never have two hard disks on the same IDE controller - it can work, but ...
So put the slave disk as master on the second IDE and move the master burner as slave to the first IDE or any way you find simple, so that you end up with one hard disk (master) and one optical unit (slave) on each IDE channel. There's a chance it may help as the error message is a bout ata1
If it does not work, temporarily have only the hdd connected to the first IDE channel during installation.
If and when everything is done connect it. Then you have to adjust fstab accordingly - study it and copy the line for the existing burner, but increase it's "dev number" by one. I think that'll work if you get that far
I know that many PC Chips motherboards have an IDE controller that is not Linux friendly
Don't hesitate to ask for help if I'm too "technical"
Fred

Post by Fred »

Also, try to remove the floppy from the boot sequence in the bios.... if it will let you.

You might also try to make sure that the bios is set up to boot first from the cd rom drive you are trying to boot from.

Good luck

Fred

Return to “Installation & Boot”