Mint won't let me install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
r4113

Mint won't let me install

Post by r4113 »

Hi.
I wonder why i am not able to find a solution, to this problem anywhere on the forums, but i haven't succeeded yet, so here it is.

I've just bought a new computer with a i3 2100 and a ATI Radeon HD 6870.
I started installing Windows, and expected to install Linux Mint as Dual boot, but my brand new computer didn't agree.
I downloaded Linux Mint 11, and burned it to a CD, opened Mint4Win and started installing, as i were familiar with the Wubi installer, and it seemed to be the same.
It worked just great, it rebooted and everything seemed to be working just fine, until it was "Setting up hardware" or something like that, i turned on the TV and one hour later it still wasn't finished.
I restarted the computer with the reset button, and it just started to install on, and freezed at the exact same place again. This time i left it for 3 hours or so, and it haven't even moved a bit.
Alright.. i dont give up that easy, so i booted up Windows, removed the Mint4Win, and downloaded the Linux Mint 10, installed Mint4Win again, and it worked just fine.
The system worked, but the highest resolution i could use was 1280x1024 which wasn't great looking on my 24" Samsung monitor, i though it was maybe the graphic driver, so i installed through that driver thing, where it had already found the ATI driver, fine... until it asked me to reboot, i did so, and when booting up Linux Mint it showed the Linux Mint logo and the 5 dots, then it showed some numbers and "Too many connections". Again im pretty impatient, so i waited 10 minutes or so, and then rebooted, same thing again.
I then searched google, and found something with nonapic or something, i rebooted and suddenly i only had a terminal and no gui at all, what the h***...!
Alright, started up in recovery mode and low graphics, worked.... i then realised that maybe the graphic driver was the problem, so i uninstalled it and rebooted. Still the same result.
Then it really started pissing me off.
I booted up a Xubuntu live CD and removed all partitions made new ones, and installed it. Didn't work neither, some Windows boot loader error, fine i made it all work, and ended up 4 distro's or something later, with Arch Linux, only one working. Booted up Linux Mint 11 live cd and started the Install Linux Mint 11, choosed Danish as that is my language, and clicked next, it didn't get further.. waited a hour and still the same, WHAT THE F***.........!

Now i just want a computer that works, preferably running Linux Mint 11.......... what to do, my only guess is that something is f***ing with my graphic card.

Thanks in advance, and btw. sorry for bad english...

/The pissed linux newb.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
terdon

Re: Mint won't let me install

Post by terdon »

Hi, ok, that is a weird problem. I would try installing mint directly though. I mean not through wubi/mint4win or anything connected to windows. Just boot from the cd. Can you get to the live session ok?

Then, if it is indeed a graphcis card problem, you could try noapic and noacpi options in grub. You do that by pressing F6 at the grub screen (the first sceen you see after BIOS information when you boot from the cd, it is the one that gives you choices on what system to load) and change the options "quiet splash --" with "nosplash noapic noacpi --".

But in any case, try the normal install from the cd and let us know how it goes.
r4113

Post by r4113 »

The computer is now running Fedora 15, and it works ok, but i want Linux Mint.
I have booted up live CD with Linux Mint 11, and tried to install, but it still hangs when i press next at the Language Selection screen :-)

Thanks for helping me.
terdon

Post by terdon »

Hang on, so you CAN get a live session? There are various problems with the installer hanging at specific point of the install process. Have a look around here and in the ubuntu forums, you should be able to find something relevant.

As a very inelegant workaround you could try installing ubuntu and then turning it into mint. Here is a tutorial on how to turn debian into lmde. I am sure you could find one for ubuntu.

Oh, and rereading your rambling first post ;) I noticed that you could get something mint4win? livesession? running with noapic noacpi. Then that's great, there is no need to remove a graphics card driver at all. Just install. After reboot noapic noacpi should not be needed, but if they are just leave them. It shouldn;t really affect your system.
r4113

Post by r4113 »

Yes i am able to get a live session, no problem, but i ain't able to install, though.
I will try looking in to the installer problems.
I have thought about that, the only problem is that the hanging also persist in ubuntu installer :P

Yes i know my first post isn't elegant, i think i was kinda tired :D
Ye i was able to install Linux Mint 11, but when it were trying to finish the installation and "Setting up hardware" it hang again... -.-'
r4113

Post by r4113 »

Never mind, i got it working.
I really don't know how, but i booted up the Mint 11 CD and pressed F6, at the "10 seconds to boot" screen.
Then i replaced "quiet splash" with "nosplash noapic noacpi" as you said, and then the installer didn't hang.

I really appreciate your help terdon, thank you so much!!! <3

/r4113
terdon

Post by terdon »

Cool, glad to hear it. So you WERE getting to the first menu! Now things make more sense...

Return to “Installation & Boot”