Dual Boot Linux-USB / WinXP-HD if USB not bootable [Solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gfardeau

Dual Boot Linux-USB / WinXP-HD if USB not bootable [Solved]

Post by gfardeau »

Hi,

I'm trying to convince my friend who has a completely lagging winXP OS on its laptop to switch to linux and mint seems perfectly suited for this.

I made a full install of mint 11 LXDE on a 8GB flashdisk and it works perfectly well on my laptop and other PCs. I thought this was a good way for my friend to start using linux without changing his internal HD too much and will has well grant him the possibility to carry his OS wherever he goes.

However his laptop won't boot from the USB (though I've updated the bios) and I'd like to get some clues on whether there would be some ways to configure the winXP boot.ini or install grub or whatever that would tweak the bios and load from the USB.

I'm quite new to Linux myself and any clue will help!

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmintnewb

Re: Dual Boot Linux-USB / WinXP-HD if USB not bootable

Post by lmintnewb »

Google PLop ... nm. If he has a disk drive onboard could be something for you guys to look over.

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html
gfardeau

Re: Dual Boot Linux-USB / WinXP-HD if USB not bootable

Post by gfardeau »

Hi,

it took me a few hours to get it working carefully, but it actually worked and I can now boot on the USB even though the bios can't.

many thanks!!

Return to “Installation & Boot”