Black Screen wont boot linux mint cd/usb NO GRUB [solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leavesof3

Black Screen wont boot linux mint cd/usb NO GRUB [solved]

Post by leavesof3 »

I have a 2002 Gateway Pentium 4 with 768MB of RAM and a 2002 BIOS that simply would not boot Linux Mint from cd or usb. I had no Operating System on the hard disk at the time as I had deleted the former Windows XP installation(after backing everything up). When I booted a cd or usb it wouldn't even present me with the GRUB menu

I used Unebootin to configure the usb flash drive and the cd disk and neither would work to boot the into Linux Mint. I tried numerous boot sequences and always made sure the drive that the medium(cd,usb) was booting first and still I would get a black screen with white cursor and nothing else. I even tried shutting down usb 2.0. After much trial and error I finally developed this workaround

Software needed

Linux Mint iso
unebootin

Hardware needed

USB flash drive
USB universal drive adapter-This turns any hard disk into a usb drive(price around $50, I borrowed mine)
Alternate computer(I used a 2010 Asus Netbook)

First I downloaded the latest version of Linux Mint(Katya 11 at the time) and used unebootin to write it to my USB flash drive. I then configured my Asus netbook to reboot from the flash drive and had no trouble booting into Linux Mint installation.

Next I used the USB universal drive adapter to read the hard drive from the 2002 Gateway Pentium 4. I backed up all the important files and reformatted it to ext4 using gparted. Then I directed the installation to install the latest version of linux mint to the Gateway 2002 hard drive that was now being treated like a USB drive by my netbook .

After installation I put the Gateway hard drive back into the Pentium 4 and rebooted(and went into the system menu pressing F2) to boot from from hard disk and now have a functional mint 11 running on my desktop. This whole process was quite a headache. I didn't want my first post on the forums to be entirely a HELP! Post, so I'm glad this worked. The only thing now is the initial boot menu I get is the hard drive “thinking” its still in the netbook. I imagine this is an easy thing to edit . Anyone know how?

Cliff notes: when in trouble use another computer(in my case a netbook) to see if it can get “around' an apparent old hardware issue.

Does anyone know how to edit the initial boot screen to remove “phantom” options?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
leavesof3

Re: Black Screen wont boot linux mint cd/usb NO GRUB workaro

Post by leavesof3 »

Nevermind, I fixed the problem using start up-manager

Return to “Installation & Boot”