Linux Mint won't boot on a Mac

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pi399

Linux Mint won't boot on a Mac

Post by pi399 »

I'm using a 2010 Mac mini, Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 2 GB of memory. My problem is that Linux Mint won't boot. I can get to the GRUB screen where I can select what to boot... but from there, I can't do anything. If I select either one of the first two options, (I forget what they're called), the screen goes black and says "Loading /casper/vmlinuz...." then "Loading /casper/initrd.lz..." (It might be the other way around, I'm not sure). After these, the text "Ready." appears, the screen blinks for some reason, and nothing else happens. If I select "Memory test" in the menu, the memory test DOES start, but the keys 'esc' and 'c' which supposedly exit from the test don't work. So then I have to shut down. I don't know what to do!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
germanix

Re: Linux Mint won't boot on a Mac

Post by germanix »

pi399

Post by pi399 »

Thank you for your response! However, my problem is that Linux Mint won't boot, not that it won't install.
germanix

Post by germanix »

I do understand your problem. I once installed Mint 10 on my iMac as a dual boot and it booted just fine. I did not however use Bootcamp for the installation. I just thought maybe by using Bootcamp for the installation it may work better. I cannot remember exactly what I did to get Mint to boot. I seem to remember it just did. The only problem I had was that I could not get the WiFi to work so I deleted it again.
The Ubuntu Forums have a special Forum for Mac users. I am sure there are also people on this Forum who could help but you could also pose your question there.
Something may have gone wrong with the installation or maybe it is just a simple case of you having to update Grub. In Linux this would be a simple matter of going to the terminal and typing "sudo update-grub" but as you cannot boot into Linux and if you can boot into OSX I suppose you can also update Grub in the terminal there. I am just not sure which command you have to type there to get the same results. I seem to think that "sudo" is typical to linux but I really do not know for sure.
Sorry I cannot help more, it would be a case of the blind leading the blind.

Return to “Installation & Boot”