Boot Failure After Install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Boot Failure After Install

Postby mkeller on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:55 pm

I am a one-time user of Kubuntu. Actually, it's not that long ago. I began to have a number of odd problems, though, which, eventually, culminated in the following message (and then an eternal hang) every time I booted:

Code: Select all
 * Starting kernel event manager . . .                                                          [ OK ]
 * Loading hardware drivers . . .
udevd-event[3421]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe/' abnormal exit
                                                                                               [fail]
 * Setting system clock
 * Loading kernel modules . . .
 * Loading manual drivers . . .

I decided to reinstall (since I couldn't use my system anyway), and did - and got the same error code, from the first boot on. So I began distro-hopping, and tried a few that I didn't like, until I came to Mint. The first time I tried the Live CD, I was hooked. (compiz-out-of-the-box + nice wallpaper + tasty menu + nice window decorations = my thing) And so I installed it - and I get the same error!

I've found, as a result of some Googling around, that the error has to do with a bug in the 2.6.22 version of the kernel, that makes it not like certain brands of hard-drives, and mine is one of them. Older and newer kernel versions work fine, but this particular version is what Gutsy is built on, and Gutsy is what Daryna is built on, hence the problem.

So, what I'm wondering is, whether there is a new version of Mint available (an alpha or something?) that uses 2.6.24 or newer. And if not - how long will it be till there is one? It'll really hurt using Windows until then . . . :wink:
mkeller

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Boot Failure After Install

Postby mumbo719 on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:37 am

I cannot help with the Darnya (Gutsy) build.

Try Mint Cassandra or Celina, same functionality but should have no HD issues.
Regards,

Warren J. Grisafi
Integrity Cleaning Systems, LLC.,
813-927-4315
http://www.integritytampa.com

You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.
~ Mary Pickford
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Postby be80be on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:06 am

if you no how to use linux and you can boot off the cd you can install a newer kernal say you install mint daryna to your hard drive and /boot and / are in the same partions like /dev/hda1 then mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 then mount -t proc /mnt/proc then chroot /mnt/hda1 bin/bash then use apt-get update then apt-get install linux-image 2.6.24 or 18 it will install the kernal make sure that it adds it to grub exit and reboot
be80be
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mkeller on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:16 pm

Thanks, guys! be80be, I'm more inclined to follow your advice, since I'd rather not use any older version than absolutely necessary, and what you said sounds like it ought to work. But either you were typing too fast, and made a mistake, or I've got some problems. Since my harddrive was already mounted (/media/disk), I skipped right to "mount -t proc /mnt/proc". But it didn't work. I tried "mount -t /proc /mnt/proc", and that didn't work either. What's it really supposed to be? (the chroot worked fine, though)

Also: apt-get update failed at 97%, with a message:
117B/s 0sFATAL -> Could not set non-blocking flag Bad file descriptor
E: Method http has died unexpectedly!
That's some problem of mine, though, I betcha. Everything works fine in Synaptic . . .

And: there is no 2.6.24 version of the kernel available, even though I enabled the universe repositories in Synaptic. There is a 2.6.17, but older=worser . . .

What repository would have the newer kernel in? I hear Hardy has it, so it might be one of it's. And (yes, I'm dumb) how do you enable extra repositories from the shell? I'm pretty sure enabling them in Synaptic isn't affecting it any, since the Synaptic opened from the menu sn't chrooted, and trying to run it from my chrooted shell says:
(synaptic:32335): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
mkeller

Postby mkeller on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:13 pm

I figured out how to enable the hardy repositories, by the way. Just run:
nano /etc/apt/sources.list
and change the "gutsy" in the first line of Ubuntu to "hardy".

The other stuff I do need help yet, on, though!
mkeller

Postby Fred on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:31 am

I fear the road you are going down will have many potholes and hard knocks before you get to the end.

To do what you are attempting, you will wind up with a semi-borked combination of gutsy, mint, and hardy! If this combination itself isn't bad enough, remember that hardy is still in alpha. You have more faith and brass than I do!

Your best bet is to drop back to Celena. You will get a clean, working, reliable system that should serve you well.

Good luck

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby be80be on Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:27 am

sorry you mount proc like this then mount -t proc proc/ /media/disk/proc and then then chroot to /mnt/hda1 if thats what you have and you should be able to use atp to install you the kernal you need i have done this with usb sticks that and hard drives i left out the proc before the proc/ hope this helps you can allso type
mount -a after you chroot to mount your harddrive fstab
be80be
Level 1
Level 1

Postby be80be on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:46 pm

there is a 2.6.24 ubut. you could use the the debian linux-image 2.6.23 it in unstable but i was thinking at work today if you installed off the live cd and the the cd works and its runing the 2.6.22 we could fix this changing your fstab and grub but i would needed you to post them so i could make the change and post them back or you could email it to me i would say that its in the uuid if you used the old way where it was just / is /dev/hdx.x it would boot the live cd looks for harddrives by /dev/ but the installer uses the uuid in the fstab and grub not the old /dev/hdx.x i had that happen on a drive i had using and changed the fstab and grub it fix it hope this helps you could also re master the the live cd iso before you burn it i could make it with the 2.6.24
be80be
Level 1
Level 1

Postby be80be on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:02 pm

this is where the 2.6.24 is http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... 6_i386.deb you dont have to change from gutsy just down load the kernel image and the modules for it and install them that will not brake your sys what brakes the sys is libs when i started using linux if you wanted sound you had to build your own from the the newer source but we runing 2.6.22 you can change your kernel it not like your moving form 2.0 to 2.6 that would brake you your just adding bug fixes and hardware support like i posted i think you can fix it so the 2.6.22 will work if you post your fstab grub menu.lst and a fdisk -l i think i could tell you how to make the live cd install that you installed work
be80be
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mkeller on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:13 am

Thanks, Fred and be80be!

Just using Celena would likely be easier, but aren't all the Celena packages outdated? It's based on Feisty, isn't it?

Since this is a fresh install, I don't really have anything to lose, so I'll try be80be's idea first (though if it doesn't work, I guess it will be Celena for me).

Actually, I just tried installing the newer kernel. Sadly, it didn't work right. Here's the output:
root@mint:/# dpkg -i linux-image*
Selecting previously deselected package linux-image-2.6.24-4-386.
(Reading database ... 87137 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking linux-image-2.6.24-4-386 (from linux-image-2.6.24-4-386_2.6.24-4.6_i386.deb) ...
sh: cannot create /dev/null: Permission denied
Done.
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.24-4-386_2.6.24-4.6_i386.deb (--install):
 short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during `./lib/modules/2.6.24-4-386/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_mod.ko')
Running postrm hook script /sbin/update-grub.
/sbin/update-grub: 105: Syntax error: Bad function name
User postrm hook script [/sbin/update-grub] exited with value 2
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess rm cleanup killed by signal (Segmentation fault), core dumped
Errors were encountered while processing:
 linux-image-2.6.24-4-386_2.6.24-4.6_i386.deb
How can I fix that?

You can find the contents of my /boot/grub/menu.lst and my /etc/fstab here and here, respectively. Running fdisk -l didn't display anything. You actually wanted me to post the contents of these files after I get the kernel installed properly, though, right? I'll do that, once we've got it running.

Once again, thanks for all your help (and keep it coming ;))!
mkeller

Postby be80be on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:48 am

boot the live cd and change your fstab to this
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
#UUID=b9a45a6d-bb89-49d2-94af-d712b784e613 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hdb5 swap sw 0 0
#UUID=1b46470b-9344-09b0-3867-040585bfe0ca none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0
make sure you put the # before the uuid it should boot with the installed kernel. It looks like you chroot as a user you have to be root to do what i said I no what I have told you will work I did it myself to day installed debian to usb why choot to the usb drive and used apt to install xorg xfce4 and newer kernel
be80be
Level 1
Level 1

Postby be80be on Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:40 am

lets start over ok the reason i wanted a fdisk -l it will list all your hard disk and partions . why grub and fstab grub tells the kernel where / so it can read your fstab and mount and read the files needed to boot if you look at your menu.lst its not using the uuid and your fstab is. now your computer can boot with your grub like it is but the fstab is using uuid for your hard disk. That maybe why it's not booting . We no that the live cd can see your drive and mount it so it should boot. and it's not using uuid it's looking for /dev/hdxx or /dev/sdxx . Ok i use debian
and mint is debian based.
This is how you chroot to install what you need to your hard drive
1. we need to no where it is mounted you said /media/disk that will work just need to no where
2. open xterm and sudo su - this makes you root
3. mount -t proc /proc /media/disk/proc
4. mount -t sysfs /sys /media/disk/sys
5. mount type that to make sure it's all mounted
6. chroot /media/disk /bin/bash
7. change your fstab like i posted
8. mount -a
Now you can use apt to install what ever you need
be80be
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mkeller on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:38 pm

Hello again!

Sorry I've sort of deserted this thread. I was sick for a while, and then I had this big public speaking project to work on . . . but now I'm back. :D

Anyways, be80be, I tried doing what you suggested last, soon after you posted it, and it did actually install - but with a lot of errors. I was unable to post them anywhere, though, because I was using xterm, which doesn't work very good for that sort of thing. When I rebooted, the new kernel did show in the GRUB list, but when I tried running it, it failed not very far into the boot, with a lot of errors.

But right around that same time, my other, first hard drive, that has GRUB and Windows XP on it (this is a dual boot system) gave me a message that it was on the verge of death. So I backed up all my data, and ordered a new one, that actually is due to arrive today. Now, what do you think I should do - keep trying to get Mint working on the Maxtor drive I've been using all along, and install Windows on the new Hitachi one, or should I swap them, and put Mint on the Hitachi (which ought to work without a hitch)? I can use the Gnome terminal next time, so I can post any errors for analyzation, if we follow the first method.
mkeller

Postby be80be on Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:52 pm

All I run is linux i work on windows computers. you could just duel boot till your sure you like mint you shouldnt have any trouble installing hope you get it working
be80be
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot