Can't get past login screeen in Mint KDE

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GerryAttrick
Level 1
Level 1

Can't get past login screeen in Mint KDE

Post by GerryAttrick »

I have been running an early version (darnyia) of Mint KDE since release and until now it has worked fine but I had just decided it was time to upgrade to a later version along with another PC. I know folks will say I should have done it earlier but I guess thats a testament to Linux Mint and its reliability and if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Unfortunately last night when I went to login I got the login/password screen and entered the usual information but nothing happens after that -No error message or Incorrect Password notification. I cannot get in to my system at all to remove the files to transfer them to my newer machine. I thought I might have used the wrong password by mistake and used another password to be sure and this time got the message "incorrect password" so I am 100% positive that the first password used was correct.

My old machine only has a CD so I though the best option would be to use a CD version of Linux (LXDE) to get in to the sytem and then copy the files across to an external hard drive and then on to my new machine.

The other alternative might be to take out the hard drive from the old machine and mount it in an external drive enclosure and access it from the updated machine with latest version of Mint however that is going to take time and I'll be off air for emails until I get things sorted.

Which the best way or should I try something else to be able to bypass the login screen. Also if I do manage to get in to the machine where would I find my old emails, addresses and favourites as I'd like to transfer those if possible. Would copying the Home folder give me everything?..I suspect not the emails and contacts.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Can't get past login screeen in Mint KDE

Post by remoulder »

GerryAttrick wrote: login/password screen and entered the usual information but nothing happens after that
You can press Ctrl+Alt+F1 at the login screen to get a console login. If your password is correct you will be able to login at a command line prompt and (possibly) fix the problem. If the password is not correct you should search the forums for forgotten password.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
GerryAttrick
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't get past login screeen in Mint KDE

Post by GerryAttrick »

Thanks for the quick response - I'll try that tonight and see how I go. Fortunately, other than file access so that I can move my files to the new machine I am only stuck for emails.

Return to “Installation & Boot”