Mint Debian Xfce in Virtualbox

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Mint Debian Xfce in Virtualbox

Post by KBD47 »

I want to install Mint Debian Xfce in virtualbox, but when I get to the point of choosing the partition the installer won't move beyond that point. I'm thinking that when I set it up in virtualbox I used the default size which was about 8 gig. is it not advancing in the installation because the root size is too small? Anything in particular I should know about installing Mint Debian in virtualbox?
Thanks!
KBD47
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint Debian Xfce in Virtualbox

Post by xenopeek »

This should be possible on 8 GiB storage. IIRC, there used to be some issue if the disk wasn't formatted yet. You may try first using GParted from the Live DVD within VirtualBox and pre-partition and format the disk.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I used the installation tool to create a set of partitions, then it asks me to choose one, so I choose ext4 that it created which I've now set to 20gig, but it still won't install :(
KBD47
glenn4uk

Post by glenn4uk »

Vincent is correct. The problem is the virtual disk you created in vbox doesn't have a partiton table. Create one with the live DVD with fdisk or gparted before you start the install.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Am I supposed to boot up inside LMDE? If so it won't do it. I hit f12 at startup and it doesn't show an entry to boot up my usb. Mint inside VB is not even mounting the usb with gparted on it.
LMDE installer opens gparted within the install and it shows the virtual hard drive as unmounted with a swap file as sdb1 and ext4 as sdb2 and I've tried shrinking the ext4 file where all my space is located, and setting up a boot partition and ext4 root partition, but it won't let me set a ext4 home partition because it already has that first ext4 partition that I resized to create these others. Also won't let me set root as a logical partition, only primary. I'm either over thinking it or I'm in over my head. I have installed Ubuntu to an external hard drive once, and I'm sort of using that as a guide, so I may be doing this wrong. And I thought virtual box would be easy.
KBD47
glenn4uk

Post by glenn4uk »

VirtualBox is easy, kbd47, but I got lost trying to understand what you're trying to do with that last post! Let me make a couple of assumptions as a starting point to see if you're on the right track.

1. You've created a VM for Mint in vbox with a virtual hard disk (8GB should be plenty.)
2. You've downloaded the Mint Live DVD ISO from which you're going to install the new VM.

If these are correct assumptions, to install Mint in your VM go to the Storage section in the settings for the VM, click the CD icon with the plus sign to add a virtual CD/DVD device, select Choose Disk and navigate to and select your downloaded Mint ISO, click OK to close the Storage setup, then start the VM which will boot into the live DVD image. From there you can start gparted to initialize/partiton the virtual hard disk and then start the Mint install.

If I misunderstood where you're trying to go - let me know.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

You got it right, and I got it all the way up to the install point. A Window popped up after I chose the partition to install it to saying it needed a root partition, if I remember correctly, I used gparted to set the root partition, but it never would go beyond that point. I gave it up as a bad business, and went on to install Ubuntu Lucid in VB without a hiccup and no need for partitioning, it is no wonder Ubuntu, at least the pre-Unity Ubuntu, is number one due to being user friendly.
I got ambitious today and installed Debian 6 in VB, yes that 12 step ridiculous to install Debian, and was pleased when it installed and then I rebooted, only to find the stupid thing kept booting back into live user and would not log me into the installed desktop. Man this stuff should not be rocket science :(
KBD47
glenn4uk

Post by glenn4uk »

Sorry you had so much trouble and I won't beat a dead horse if you've given up on it. But I did go back through the install procedure to see what might have been the problem. I THINK where you may have gone wrong is after creating the root partition with gparted you then have to assign it to the / mount point by right-clicking the selected partition and then making that assignment to /. Assigning the partition to / is done AFTER creating the partition with gparted.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

glenn4uk wrote:Sorry you had so much trouble and I won't beat a dead horse if you've given up on it. But I did go back through the install procedure to see what might have been the problem. I THINK where you may have gone wrong is after creating the root partition with gparted you then have to assign it to the / mount point by right-clicking the selected partition and then making that assignment to /. Assigning the partition to / is done AFTER creating the partition with gparted.
I actually added that because I saw it was missing on the partition, I added it using gparted, but when I reloaded the page it would not show that label (/) for some reason. Just refused to cooperate for some reason :(
Anyway, looking forward to the release of Mint 12 I know it will be more user friendly.
KBD47

Return to “Installation & Boot”