Kernel Panic after updates - can't boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msd123

Kernel Panic after updates - can't boot

Post by msd123 »

I have a LILO multiboot system (XP, Vector and MINT - v9, I think).

I booted into MINT yesterday for the first time in quite a while, and there were a load of updates awaiting me, so I installed the lot.
All completed ok.

I then installed "secure delete" and (as root) did "sfill -f /" . This took all night to run but completed ok.

I then restarted (wish I'd done this before the sfill, then I'd know a bit more about the cause of the problem), but MINT would no longer boot - giving me flashing Caps Lock & Scroll Lock LEDs, which I think is an indicator of kernel panic.

Xp and Vector still boot fine, by the way, and memcheck shows no issues.

Any tips on how I can recover this situation ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Kernel Panic after updates - can't boot

Post by oobetimer »

You could reconfigure LILO or make Mint to boot via XP's bootloader .. :wink:

Click and watch

DrHu

Post by DrHu »

msd123 wrote:I have a LILO multiboot system (XP, Vector and MINT - v9, I think).
I don't think the earlier (than mint 11x) had many boot problems..

I would stop using lilo as a bootloader unless you had a good reason to keep it
--switch to grub2 or the older grub, which won't be limited to the first 1024 cylinders for a boot: loader/manager

Switching to the newer boot manager (Grub2..) should make it easier to follow any bootloader options/updates or suggestions
--not many keep using Lilo, even though it does work well enough within its limits..
msd123

Post by msd123 »

thanks for the help.

I dont want to use NT Loader as I will probably get rid of Windows once XP support dies.

Will take a look at Grub then. Have avoided this in the past as I don't think you can boot Vector that way.

Using the MINT install disk, will I be able to write the GRUB boot info without touching anything else (i.e. no need for a full reinstall) ?
msd123

Post by msd123 »

I booted into Vector and just rewrote the LILO config file (lilo -v) and now I can boot into MINT again - simple as that :D
No idea why this was necessary or why it worked but it'll do :?

Return to “Installation & Boot”