dual Mint install solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mickel
Level 1
Level 1

dual Mint install solved

Post by mickel »

Hi all, I love Mint so much I have installed Daryna 4.0 in hda1 and XFCE beta in hda3. I had 4.0 installed first and when I added the second partition with Parted Magic I added the KDE version first, but I crashed it trying to figure out how to do this in a terminal which I don't know how to do. I knew that I was going to have to reinstall anyway so I tried the XFCE this time and like it too but it comes up first (defalt) on starting and I would really like for my regular Gnome to start automatically. Also if I repartitioned into 3
primary and one logical for swap would the Grub still work?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: dual Mint install

Post by Husse »

To answer the simple question first - it's piece of cake to fix which distro is the default one.
At the beginning of /boot/grub/menu.lst you have
## default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
default 0
Change accordingly, read the commented text above
Let's move on :)
Also if I repartitioned into 3
primary and one logical for swap would the Grub still work?
First off - the logical needs to be in an extended partition, but perhaps you just omitted that.
An yes it will work, but you need to modify it. If the first partition still contains a valid Linux distro you can boot into that and change grub, or better change before you change the partitioning scheme
And note - it's the grub, and thus menu.lst, of the partition grub is using that needs to be changed
Furthermore you probably add a partition "at the end" and grub does not need to be changed at all, but you must beware of problems with UUID because of the repartitioning
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _a_problem
mickel
Level 1
Level 1

Re: dual Mint install

Post by mickel »

Thanks it worked!

Return to “Installation & Boot”