[Solved] Grub starts only in command prompt

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zaibotrenktas

[Solved] Grub starts only in command prompt

Post by zaibotrenktas »

Hello,

I had Windows 7 and now I intalled Linux Mint 11 following this tutorial: http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/06/11/du ... windows-7/.
The problem is that I chose to not overwrite MBR with GRUB and install GRUB into Linux boot partition. After installing Linux Mint I added an option to boot Linux Mint to MBR using EasyBCD software. Here's my partitions for Linux just before pressing 'Install Now': http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36902762/Screenshot.png

Have you any thoughts on this?

[SOLVED]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Grub starts only in command prompt

Post by axisofevil »

It says you have 3 disks.
Nothing mentioned about sda
Windows on sdb
Linux is in a logical partition of sdc - what else is lurking in there?

Since Linux and Windows appear to be on separate disks, overwriting the boot sector of sdc could not possibly affect Windows.
You could switch between booting into Linux/Windows by changing your BIOS settings...

Or you could always start all boots from GRUB on sdc and use chain-booting from sdc to sdb for Windows.
I have done this and it works well.
zaibotrenktas

Post by zaibotrenktas »

How in my situation start to boot from GRUB?
wei2912

Post by wei2912 »

I'm having the same problem too. When i tried to remove a bootable partition (Linux Mint 11) after installing Linux Mint 12 RC, i could no longer boot up. Using boot-repair, I tried to follow their instructions and removed my grub bootloader. Unfortunately, my grub was still present, so i attempted to remove /boot/boot and /boot/grub. The wizard still indicated that grub was present, so i restarted the wizard to install grub. in the end, i ended up with this problem.

I attempted rescatux with no success. I am now trying to use Super Grub2 Disk from (http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/) to boot into my OS. Will reply if i succeed.

BTW, a group of users have a similar problem at http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... cd-198641/

Tested Discs:
  • Super Grub2 Disc - unsupported by Universal USB Installer
  • Trinity Rescue Kit - entirely useless for this, may be a good rescue tool for you
My last resort will be to run Linux Mint 12 RC on LiveUSB, then replace my hard disk's /boot directory with the one on LiveUSB.
wei2912

Post by wei2912 »

I am resorting to my last resort, since I have messed up my boot folder rather badly. For you, you should try out these applications/live CDs:

Boot repair
Super Grub2 Disc
Rescatux

Trinity Rescue Kit (great for your Windows)
zaibotrenktas

Post by zaibotrenktas »

Thank you for explaining why I have this problem. In case it's quit complicated I just installed Linux Mint in the same HDD as the Windows and now I don't have any problems with boot.
wei2912

Post by wei2912 »

zaibotrenktas wrote:Thank you for explaining why I have this problem. In case it's quit complicated I just installed Linux Mint in the same HDD as the Windows and now I don't have any problems with boot.
Glad to hear that.

This may be too late, but if you ever reinstall Linux Mint, remember to enter the partition editor and make a partition for your home folder. You can set the mount point to /home. Thus, if you ever need to reinstall Linux Mint or install a new linux OS, your files will remain.

Please mark this as [SOLVED] by adding that to the end of your question.

Return to “Installation & Boot”