"Solved" needing help: want to try Mint and have ubuntu also

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

"Solved" needing help: want to try Mint and have ubuntu also

Postby huntwell on Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:46 pm

I recently installed ubuntu as a dual boot with xp, but I would very much like to try Mint. I think I should have tried Mint first, but a friend of mine talked me into ubuntu. When I installed ubuntu, I did the automatic partitioning option rather than the custom. I would like to know how I can either safely uninstall ubuntu so I can put Mint there instead or can someone tell me how to partition after an ubuntu install to make the ubuntu partition smaller and also have Mint too.

I am very new to all of this and not the most tech savvy person. I can follow directions if they are basic and step by step without a lot of technical lingo.

I really would like to learn Linux and get very proficient with it since I like to support alternatives to Windows. I think what you are doing here is great and I will be donating to your cause.

Thank you very much.
Last edited by huntwell on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huntwell
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Newbie needing help: want to try Mint and have ubuntu also

Postby Kynan on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:01 am

Well i'm not sure if im the one that should be helping you here since i've never actually done what i'm about to say but...

1. put in your linuxmint live cd and boot from it and go about as if you were going to install it (it uses the ubuntu installer with gparted as you partitioner basically does same stuff as partitionmagic in windows.)
2. then make sure you select custom partitioning, and then in there you should be able to resize (shrink) the ubuntu partition and create a new ext3 filesyetem where you can install mint aswell (its pretty straightforward you should be able to figure it out the ubuntu one as it will be mounted at / and it will be an ext3 filesystem the swap file is ok to leave)
3. you could even format the ubuntu partition and install mint over it if you wish.
4. after the partitioning is done the grub bootloader should automatically make all the entires (windows mint and ubuntu) not 100% sure as i've never done this maybe someone will have to confirm this but i think you should be alright.
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Installation & Boot