Mint 12 freezes up

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
delicious

Re: Mint 12 freezes up

Post by delicious »

I have 12-RC installed and ive noticed that sometimes my whole system freezes up too. SOMETIMES I can right click and it will pull up the menu and ilol be able to hit the hotspot in the corner again at least, but in the end i always have to just totally shut it off and restart. Its pretty annoying. ANyone know whats causing this? The only thing i can connect it to is something thats automatically running in the background or maybe Chromium, because ive been on the net/browsing and thats usually when it freezes up - so ive noticed. Any help?
kaneda

Post by kaneda »

karashata wrote:Launch GNOME Tweak Tool (aka. Advanced Settings), go to the Shell Extensions section, and flip the switch next to "Media Player Extension" to Off.
This worked for me just fine.
carburador

Post by carburador »

Nice to know that there is a solution that is working for someone. Maybe in some months I come back with Linux Mint. (I hope that in LM 13 the brightness problems with my laptop will be solved).
jvd1291

Post by jvd1291 »

I get the same issue while running Minecraft and Firefox, expecially if I have Pandora open.. Infact, I get terrible performance and crashing constantly no matter what I do. I will probably downgrade back down to 10. I hate to sound like a complainer, because I know thats exactly what i sound like, but on my hardware this release is really unstable.
revdjenk

Post by revdjenk »

See the background of this problem: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=199&t=86247 with my post (#7)

God Bless
Doug
thelung

Post by thelung »

Happens to me everytime I use this computer. But, mine is a 32-bit installation. I've usually got bansh and chrome running when this occurs. Will try the above mentioned fix and report back after a few days whether or not it worked for me.
marnix7

Post by marnix7 »

Just installed linux mint 12 and also i have the problem!
Not with Music and firefox when i play WoW trough wine i got the same problem..
Its not banshee firefox related i only play wow without music nor firefox opend....
Only Skype was opened in conversation.
When i typed CTRL+ALT+F4 or something i get into console and there i pressed the power button on my machine.
User input will freeze and desktop locked up i had to turn off my machine...
Can i get problems when i hard turn off my system??
Can there get something corrupt?
I choose for Linux Mint because Ubuntu is so f***** up now and even worse in the future with that HUD thingy.
Also Video support sux now in ubuntu.

My question is now are my specs good enough to run Linux Mint @ full performance or not?
Also the menu interface is sometimes so laggy.....

My system Specs.

Asus Pundit P6-P5G41E.
Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 2.83Ghz.
2xKingston 4GB DDR3 1066Mhz.
1xAsus Nvidia Geforce GT520 1GB.
1xOCZ 32GB Onyx SSD 2.5".
1xLite-On DVD-RW Combo Writher.

Greets Mazrnix
and many thanks.
My language is : Dutch i am from Belgium
orangesound

Post by orangesound »

Hi all,
I'm having the same, very annoying, problems here with Mint KDE 64 RC!
For me often occurs using Firefox, while creating or switching tabs.
I've tried to disable blur transition, but still happens.
I've just tried to disable all desktop effects (Alt+Upper case+F12) and I'll let you know if it's, as I think, it's an effect related problem.

Alessandro
cfsmihai

Post by cfsmihai »

I also have this problem on Mint 12 x64. Always when playing music and running Firefox (w/ Rythmbox or Banshee).
metta

Post by metta »

My Mint 12 freezes up pretty often in many different cases. If there any firm solution?
herecomesrob

Post by herecomesrob »

Hi there,

here's what I did:
- disabled MSGE;
- deinstalled Banshee;
- turned off Mate.

Works like a charm. No freezes so far.
electr0hed

Post by electr0hed »

LM12 consistently froze whenever I ran Banshee. I have not had any problems since I unloaded it.

I've been having good luck so far with Exaile [knock on wood]
thelung

Post by thelung »

well, it had done really well after having applied some of the earlier mentioned fixes. Since my last post I had not any issues. But, now it's doing it again. All I was running was Chromium browser and my spideroak happened to be turned on.
Tuxi

Post by Tuxi »

The problem is caused only by Banshee , Firefox not affect in anithing. Banshee crashes wihout using firefox, its crashes running only banshee!. Videolan is the temporal solution for stability if you don´t want to install alternative software.
mbg

Post by mbg »

same problem here. i installed mint 12 64 bit with KDE, when i open firefox sooner or later desktop freezes up. i tought it was about kde but then came across this thread. it is really disappointing that no real solution has been found yet for such a disturbing problem, related the "main" edition...

Return to “Installation & Boot”