LM11-64 login & power issue on Alienware M15x <fixed>

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thespider

LM11-64 login & power issue on Alienware M15x <fixed>

Post by thespider »

Greetings all,
Have an interesting puzzle for us to figure out...

Have been successfully been running Linux Mint on my Alienware M15x laptop.
The current installation is Linux Mint 11 64-bit.

Arrived home this evening to find that my laptop would not turn on, then noticed that my power-supply cable was only halfway in the socket. Normally I do fully power down my laptop before going away, so wondering why there was a power drain? Pushed the power-supply cable fully in, and tried powering up again, which it did...

The bios and boot-media options came up fine (F2 & F12), then black screen on both monitors for about a minute.
Running a 2nd 20" monitor from the VGA port.
A message does flash up at the top of the screen for a couple of seconds that mentions "scsi", but not for enough time to me to capture the entire line.
The login screen appears on the 2nd monitor, but even before I can type a few characters the whole laptop shuts down.

Tried booting the laptop with a LM live-CD, which worked just fine.
Was able to mount both partitions of my 500GB HD, both / and /home, and access files just fine.
Power supply indicated battery at 75%.

Any suggestions or ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thespider

Re: LM11-64 login & power issue on Alienware M15x

Post by thespider »

Was given the suggestion to do a battery reset, which I did, but did not help.
Even tried booting up without the battery, just by AC, and got the same.
Really think it is something in the bootup section of my harddrive, especially since live-CD's work just fine.
Ran the built-in Alienware diagnostics, which reported nothing wrong there.
However, upon rebooting again, I actually got the GNU GRUB selection menu, which I had not been getting before.
Now getting this in the startup text: "Errors were found while checking the disk drive for /home".
Since I have a recent clonezilla backup (love that program), I am going to say yes to fixing...
A few inodes counts were fixed, but now stuck on: "mountall: fsck /home [963] terminated with status 1"
Powering down to start again...
Back at GNU GRUB, and going to select 'recovery mode'
This time it fixed errors for /
It rebooted, and YES!!... all seems well now...
Tested by playing the Avengers trailer, and worked great!
Ok, need to power-down, re-install battery and power-up again...
Ok, have power-cycled a few times, and all seems to be well.
So glad!!!!

Return to “Installation & Boot”