LinuxMint 12 won't install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hanska32

LinuxMint 12 won't install

Post by hanska32 »

Hi,
I tried to install LinuxMint 12 besides Windows 7, Linuxmint 11 and another distro on my Dell Notebook (64b, 4Gb). After partial copying files from the live CD I got this message:
Migration-assistant needs to mount a partition but cannot do so because the following mount point could not be unmounted: /dev/sda7
Please close any application using the mount point
Now I did not set for any migration. Second /dev/sda7 holds LinuxMint 11. I cannot unmount this device because it is mounted on /target overloaded with /dev/sda3 (other distro)

Any help to solve this would be appreciated.
Hans Hofman,
The Netherlands
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
groeder

Re: LinuxMint 12 won't install

Post by groeder »

I'm glad I've found someone else with the same problem! I haven't been able to install Mint 11 or 12 or Ubuntu 11.04 or 11.10. Same exact problem. I have Win 7, LMDE, Fedora 12, and JoliCloud. I have about given up getting an answer. I hope someone answers with a solution!
groeder

Re: LinuxMint 12 won't install

Post by groeder »

Hi,

After hacking away for awhile, I found a solution that worked for me. I opened the cli and did "sudo mount /dev/sdaX" with X being the number asked for in the error message. I had to manually mount two partitions this way and the install completed successfully. I think the migration assistant could go away forever, but since Ubuntu thinks it's a good idea, we'll have to put up with it in Mint, I guess.

I hope this works for you!

Return to “Installation & Boot”