All X sessions on Lisa DVD are the same

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dbbolton

All X sessions on Lisa DVD are the same

Post by dbbolton »

I have booted the Lisa Gnome DVD, which seems to start gnome3 as the default desktop. I logged out and selected "gnome classic" as the session, and logged back in. The exact same desktop was launched. The other two options were "Gnome Classic (no effects)" and "MATE". I tried both, and it seems that gnome3 is started no matter what. I was logging in as user "mint".

When I say they were the same, I mean that the gnome shell panel at the top was always present, as well as the "Expose" like corner effect.

If I install Mint using the Lisa DVD, will I not be able to run gnome2?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mank_in

Re: All X sessions on Lisa DVD are the same

Post by mank_in »

You cannot run MATE from the live session . Once the system is installed you can try to run it by selecting "MATE" as your session at the login screen.
dbbolton

Post by dbbolton »

mank_in wrote:You cannot run MATE from the live session . Once the system is installed you can try to run it by selecting "MATE" as your session at the login screen.
That doesn't explain to me why gnome classic runs as gnome3.
JBHoren

Post by JBHoren »

dbbolton wrote:
mank_in wrote:You cannot run MATE from the live session . Once the system is installed you can try to run it by selecting "MATE" as your session at the login screen.
That doesn't explain to me why gnome classic runs as gnome3.
Moreover, what's the point of running from a LiveCD/DVD? [rhetorical question]

Obviously, I want to test-drive the version (Linux Mint 12), and that means using all of its desktops!

I've only been using Linux Mint (Gnome edition) since LM 5 ("Elyssa"), so it's probably "pilot error" that prevents me from recognizing either of them for what they truly are; still, not only do they both appear to be identical, but neither is discernible to this user as either Gnome3 or Gnome "Classic". Gnome3 on the LiveDVD doesn't look (or behave) at all like that which appears on the Gnome.org website, and Gnome "Classic" looks nothing like a traditional Linux Mint Gnome desktop.

As for "You cannot run MATE from the live session": Well, that pretty much blows things, eh? How in the world could I justify installing Linux Mint 12 with the intention of running MATE as my desktop environment, when I cannot evaluate it, beforehand? I might be dumb, but I'm not stupid.

Seriously... what am I missing?

Return to “Installation & Boot”