Had Mint 11, dual boot w/ win7 Trying to upgrade to 12

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HarryKnutz

Had Mint 11, dual boot w/ win7 Trying to upgrade to 12

Post by HarryKnutz »

Let me expound upon the subject. A. I had Mint 11 alongside Win7. I went to install 12, my first time...other than SuSE, install went smooth, PC rebooted....and hung---power on, black screen. After a while I commited a sin (hard shut), so..after that I would be booted to a command line interface: grub rescue>
I then went into Windows and used the Manager to manually delete the linux partitions & discovered I had Mint 11 partitions as well as 12!!
Upon next boot I wrote this one down:
: error: no such device: ab557b7a-84c0-42b3-af4e-0355cd0bd273

Having committed the dreaded PEBKAC error, then pulled out a "super grub" cd... was able to boot into Winbloze 7.

I never came across any option for "advanced" installation etc.
Hence....as a n00b :roll: ....I am in dire need of help! :?:
Please advise, as I will be committing some time in the "Documents" area familiarizing myself w/ Mint more so.

Thanks in advance! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Had Mint 11, dual boot w/ win7 Trying to upgrade to 12

Post by remoulder »

Try http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p22.html. Whilst written for ubuntu, the procedure is the same.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
HarryKnutz

Re: Had Mint 11, dual boot w/ win7 Trying to upgrade to 12

Post by HarryKnutz »

:o thanks for the reply! I hope it will tell me how to repair/reinstall M12.

Return to “Installation & Boot”