Desktop is broken or changed after update

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Samy

Desktop is broken or changed after update

Post by Samy »

Hi,

i recently installed Mint 12 on my new dell vostro 3550 laptop. Everything worked out smoothly and I was able to boot into the new system.

I ran all updates and activated the amd FGLRX driver, then i restarted the system. After login everything was kinda broken, the top-bar went black, the screen startetd flickering every now and then, and the menu button now was at the topbar and no longer at the bottom bar.

I'm not sure if its the driver that is causing this or the updates I made. Also during the update process I was asked if I want to replace some gnome default config file and I just said yes.

do you think it's the driver or the update/replaced config file?

I'm now reinstalling mint and hope it works this time.

btw. if it actually is the fglrx driver that is causing this I don't think mint should recommend people to install it or say it was "tested".
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Samy

Re: Desktop is broken or changed after update

Post by Samy »

Ok the driver was responsible.

So if you use a laptop with an AMD Radeon HD 6630M card. Don't install the driver!

Return to “Installation & Boot”